View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Sep 2019, o 07:14

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 END OF MY COMPUTER!!! 
Warlord

Post END OF MY COMPUTER!!!
Well today May 5th, 2009... my computer officaly crashed for good :( COMPLEATLY no comming back this time... i think it was because of a black out that happend at around 7:20 ish well that black out fried the boot drive... so now i need to get a new one YES so somtimes somthing really bad needs to happen before any good comes around eh? But for no i cant use my comp for anything so i need to post stuff from my school comp rofl...

5 May 2009, o 08:09
RI Team

Post Re: END OF MY COMPUTER!!!
Am I right that basically only HDD needs replacement? Or is something else also kaputt?

BTW, it can be a good reason to install Windows 7 - they released a FREE release candidate today, that will run on free license till March 2010. I am planning to try it out myself.

5 May 2009, o 10:51
Warlord

yeah i really dont know nor care......... I am getting a new REALLY AWESOME COMP IN JUNE!!!!!!!!!!! w00t so i dont wana spend a whole buch of time and moines on this piece of junk i have now when i getting a new one in a month so i am just going to wait and i got a ps3 so i can use that :P hehehehe anyways heres my new comp its a bare bone kit so i getting a new graphic card with it.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4527727&CatId=332
heres the gfx card i getting... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4546384&sku=D10-4890
i cant frigin wait to sum all of this up! its an INSANE comp... W00T like i said before...

and when u say "is somethign else kaput"
well with my computer i ask what isint kaput. around 6 months ago i could play this game called Company of Heroes which is a sick game btw u should check it out great game... But anyways i cant play it anymore my friends call it a "lag fest" rofl that game i could play a while ago now i cant. ah what else ummm CS:S i cant play for more then like 20 min then it CTDs. Civ is extreamly laggy... umm Sim City i cant play err COD 4 i cant play. Essentialy all of the game i could play i can not play them anymore but W/E i getting a new one!!!!!!
goddamit i just realisied that i am rambling SRY lol

5 May 2009, o 13:12
RI Team

:D :D :D

Well, then I guess you really just have to wait for your new system (as for specs, sorry I can't appreciate them, but since I'm an Nvidia/Intel man myself, I just don't know how cool the mentioned stuff exactly is - but I guess pretty cool).

5 May 2009, o 13:54
Site Admin

gforce wrote:
anyways heres my new comp its a bare bone kit so i getting a new graphic card with it.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4527727&CatId=332

IMHO only RAMs are good in this set, and graphics as well but see my last sentences below.
Especially PSU seems sucky and you may expect further problems with your PC if you buy "some unknown 650W PSU" . The PSU is delivering power to your components and is the most common cause of errors, instability and eventually fries...
Barracuda 7200.10 is crappy with 16MB cache while you can find some WD 1TB Green Power with 32MB cache with similar price.

CPU... AMD is still way behind Intel even with superduper Quad-marketing tricks.

And why buy motherboard with Geforce 8300 and then don't use it just buying Radeon HD 4890? Not logical IMHO. If you plan to buy Radeon HD 4890 then find a motherboard without graphics chipset on it - will be cheaper and more reliable.

Furthermore I definitely encourage anyone to have 8GB DDR2 RAM and try Windows 7 64bit RC - much better than Vista 64bit IMO.

And for comparison here's my specs:
Intel Q9650 @ 4.02GHz
8GB (4x2) OCZ Reaper HPC 1066 @ 892 MHz
ASUS ROG Commando motherboard
Geforce GTX 280
WD Raptor HDD 320GB (10000 rpm) - system
3x320GB Seagate Barracuda - data and backup (planning to change to 3x1TB Samsung or WD 32MB cache)
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty

5 May 2009, o 19:23
Profile WWW
Noble

Does Windows 7 64bit RC avoid MAF ? :P

5 May 2009, o 21:51
RI Team

Most likely as well as all other 64-bit OSes, that is, completely. ;)

5 May 2009, o 22:42
Site Admin

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
Most likely as well as all other 64-bit OSes, that is, completely. ;)

Not completely. I wrote about my struggle with MAFs here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=504

All you need to do under 64bit system (be it Win 7 or Vista) is edit Warlords.exe as described here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=224178

Worked for me like a dream :) .
Testing same solution on Vista 32bit now (laptop) as it has 4GB of RAM and needs only one more config change, but my game still did not reach MAF stage (they usually start to occur after discovering some part of Americas on Earth map).
I suppose similar solution will work for Win 7 32bit. Not sure about XP.

5 May 2009, o 22:51
Profile WWW
Warlord

Well currently that comp that i jsut sent u is in the poll position i do know a person that can make me a really kick ass gamming comp for alot less then they sell at the store sooooo really thats just a guess of what i am going to get just a rough idea of what i want. your specs are insane btw I HOPE TO TRUMP THOUSE HOWEVER lol...

6 May 2009, o 11:11
Site Admin

gforce wrote:
thats just a guess of what i am going to get just a rough idea of what i want.

Yeah, very rough.
So my piece of advice in points:
- order a really good PSU of well known brand. Not sure if same brands are as well known in Canada as in Europe but it would be: Seasonic, Tagan, BeQuiet, Antec, Corsair, Chieftec. If I were to buy a new PC nowadays then I'd aim for BeQuiet Dark Power series.
- Radeon HD 4890 is really cool (however I'm Nvidia user myself, just got used to them ;) ) , but pick a motherboard without graphics on it
- better take a good Core2Duo Intel CPU than AMD QuadCore, For example E8400 is just perfect and very powerful, especially for games.
- rams you mentioned are fine
- 1TB WD Green Power HDD (example: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-C ... B001IEZX3G ) would be much better than your pick of Seagate Barracuda.

Quote:
your specs are insane btw I HOPE TO TRUMP THOUSE HOWEVER lol...

I'm aiming at some Core i7 (not sure which one yet), 12GB of DDR3, and 2xGeForce GTX 295 in SLI next year, of course with new motherboard. So don't stretch yourself too much ;) .
In case you think why I need such PC - yes I love newest FPS games (plans: 3rd part of Stalker, Wolfenstein, awaiting for next parts of Crysis or I'll walk through Crysis again on new monitor) with Ultra details on Directx 10 and my incoming 26" LCD will have big expectations for a graphics card to sustain decent resolution...

6 May 2009, o 17:27
Profile WWW
Warlord

Allright the final days till my computers planning and arivle are here now! w00t!
but i still have no idea on waht to get lol and i have a few questions for you vitez.
Quote:
Radeon HD 4890 is really cool (however I'm Nvidia user myself, just got used to them ) , but pick a motherboard without graphics on it

what do you exactly mean by "pick a motherboard without graphics on it" and is the radeon 4890 a good choice of gfx cards?
Quote:
- better take a good Core2Duo Intel CPU than AMD QuadCore, For example E8400 is just perfect and very powerful, especially for games.

is a duel core more powerfull then a quad? and should i get one?
and yeah thats aboot it lol
any other things that you think i need for a new comp?

28 May 2009, o 11:42
Site Admin

gforce wrote:
what do you exactly mean by "pick a motherboard without graphics on it" and is the radeon 4890 a good choice of gfx cards?

There are motherboards with graphics chipset included and without graphics chipset. If you plan to buy a separate graphics card then choose a motherboard without graphics chipset included on it - will be cheaper and more stable and easie to configure.
And yes - this Radeon is a very good choice. I personally prefer Nvidia but this Radeon is one of the top choices.

Quote:
is a duel core more powerfull then a quad? and should i get one?

For games - yes, for comparable price. Intel Quad Core of comparable power in games is more expensive than Core 2 Duo. AMD Quad Cores are cheaper than Intel Quad Cores but will most likely never have comparable power.
If you want an easy hint - Core 2 Duo E8400 .

28 May 2009, o 16:35
Profile WWW
Warlord

Alright i have a series of motherboards but i have NO idea how to tell if they have "on board gfx" o these all have that core duo E8400 chip deal
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3854632&CatId=2406
theres one
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4362108&CatId=2406
yeah...
ill probley get the radeon 4890 gfx card...
do u think i need an after market cooling system like some kinda fan or somthing?
and how many watts of PSU deal do u think i need?

29 May 2009, o 08:05
Site Admin

gforce wrote:
Alright i have a series of motherboards but i have NO idea how to tell if they have "on board gfx" o these all have that core duo E8400 chip deal
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3854632&CatId=2406
theres one
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4362108&CatId=2406
yeah...
ill probley get the radeon 4890 gfx card...

In short - only the first bundle would suit you. Second one already has graphics card and you don't need it when you buy Radeon separately.

Quote:
do u think i need an after market cooling system like some kinda fan or somthing?
and how many watts of PSU deal do u think i need?

If you don't intend to overclock your PC then standard cooling system is enough. And PSU... just calculate it :) - type 'PSU calculator' in google and find a suitable for you.

1 Jun 2009, o 19:44
Profile WWW
Warlord

Ok just after that post i found this bundle here: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4283304&CatId=2406
the other two are way to expencive for my likeing lol. and im a goin to send u that wish list that i made up.

2 Jun 2009, o 09:03
Warlord

MY NEW COMP HAS BEEN PURCHASED!!!!!!!
its frigin sweet heres the specs
o btw its not set up right now (no hdd to set up on lol) but my old comp started working for some reason lol just set the bios to "run of cd" or whatever. then shoved the vista i bought today and for some reason windows "woke up" and figured out that explorer.exe existied and there was no point to crashiing any more lol. Anyways heres the specs:
Nvidia nForce 790I motherboard
intel core 2 quad Q8200 (2.33 GHz)
Nividia GeForce gtx 280 gfx card
4 gigs ddr3 ram
windows vista home basic 64-bit
650 watt PSU
And to come a 1 TB hdd (it was out of stock at tiger dirict so getting at some place else)
but yes this is awesome
CIV TR TILL YEAR70000 AD W00T lol i cant frigin wait till i set it up rofl.
no more school comps to do my friign email and crap on now eh?!?!

13 Jun 2009, o 21:20
RI Team

Well, congrats!!! :D

14 Jun 2009, o 02:47
Site Admin

gforce wrote:
windows vista home basic 64-bit

Consider upgrading to at least Home Premium.
Here are the differences:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... fault.aspx

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsV ... rsion.html

In short you might/should need: Aero workspace, DVD creation, HD creation, Media Center, automatic backups.

'Nvidia nForce 790I' - tells nothing about motherboard, it's only a name of main chipset used on your motherboard, not the motherboard model/type.

Also if you have 64bit then you might consider having 8 GB of RAM.

16 Jun 2009, o 09:24
Profile WWW
Warlord

I personaly dont really care for vista at all just getting it becuase i dont want XP because its already obsleat... But why should i upgrade to ultimate and will it cost anything? if so how much because i dont really want to spend anyt more monies on this now.
And on the ram... I WILL in the NEAR NEAR future upgrade my ram to 8 gigs just my mom has "tarrifs" on "consumer electronics" so soon ill be able to upgrade hopefully

17 Jun 2009, o 10:19
Site Admin

gforce wrote:
But why should i upgrade to ultimate and will it cost anything? if so how much because i dont really want to spend anyt more monies on this now.

I gave you two links and a short explanation why you should consider upgrading. Don't ask me how much it costs - I'm not living in your country, but it's not free of course.

You can also wait till october this year and upgrade to Windows 7 which is much better than Vista in my opinion (using it now - RC so Release Candidate version).

17 Jun 2009, o 16:11
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]