View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 26 Feb 2020, o 05:35

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Final major content update 
Trainee

Post Final major content update
Thanks for all the years of hard work, Walter. Thanks to you Civ4 is still my favourite strategy game.
Also, congratulations! It's finally complete!

13 Jan 2020, o 05:06
RI Team

Post Re: Final major content update
Content complete. Still have to finish several last dynamic civs (from Russia to Turkey). But that's weeks to go at most, days if I find enough time and motivation.

13 Jan 2020, o 16:55
Trainee

My wife and my friends are really looking forward to the new version.
(Жена аж подпрыгивает от нетерпения, она у меня самый большой фанат)

16 Jan 2020, o 02:06
Trainee

Looking forward to it too

18 Jan 2020, o 13:08
Trainee

I now check the site twice a day. Really looking forward to an update. When will it appear?

22 Jan 2020, o 13:15
RI Team

Don't be quite so impatient. Two civs still to go, then maybe one closing technical update to tie all loose ends. At least a week still before everything is release-ready.

22 Jan 2020, o 16:46
Trainee

Hey there!
I know it's almost almost almost too late, but have you ever thought of revising in some points the "World map huge" map? Or is it somehow "fix" and beyond all question?

I'll give you my list of changes in different categories.

Geographical mistakes:
Jerusalem is east of the Jordan river. It's impossible and looks so wrong, so I relocated the Jordan river here one tile eastwards. Anyway the Jordan flows more straight southward as I put it now.
Bulgarians don't settle in Bulgaria but in southern Transilvania; Unfortunately it becomes Sofia which is mislocated. One would expect here to be Klausenburg which unfortunately is one of the cities to be founded by Hungary in this scenario. I tried to relocate the Barbarian city of Bulgaria close to Sofia in tile 32/60 or 33/60 but the results were totally unsatisfaying as the whole AI city foundation behavior for this area changed, e.g. Greece having much worse conditions. So the tile 34/62 is indeed a good location to put a Barbarian city but one could think about changing the city name and choose another more realistic city name for that tile.

I don't know how it happened, but quite a lot of sea tiles east of Argentinia have been "revealed" in the original map file for native american tribal civilizations (also from North America). The same for some sea tiles near the west coast of South Africa, which have been also revealed to some American (!) tribal nations. Obviously it must have been revealed wrongly in the original file. I realized it when I got a world map from a tribal nation and it contained some sea tiles surrounded by "black" area. I corrected this in my file already. I must look up which sea tiles have been affected and to which tribal nations, but I can provide you more details if you wish.

"Aesthetic" corrections:
The south coast of the Iberian peninsula looks totally "unrealistic". So I changed a few tiles to give it more realistic shape.
I cut a lot of "connecting" tiles between islands which don't exist in reality (Indonesia, Japan); also I deleted a lot of "micro islands" which have been put especially in the Mediterranean Sea as in my view it covered too much sea, and they are never used to found a city there. Also I reshaped a few "enlarged" islands which also had somehow an "unrealistic" shape (e.g. Sicily). But always a ran a lot of tests with few hundreds of AI auto turns to get sure the AI is not affected too much by this.

Strategic changes:
I relocated some resources for two purposes: Once I wanted to have more strategic balance for the different civilizations; also I tried to "improve" the AI logic to found cities in some areas where the AI usually didn't behave very well.
For the strategic disbalance in the map there are a lot of exampes: E.g. Mayans have only one food ressource (bananas) near the capital to boost growth while Aztecs have two (sheeps and corn). This led to the result that in most of my test games Aztecs very much stronger than the Mayans resp. defeated them. Unfortunately similiar disbalances in food and strategic ressources in the capital area are mostly "unrealistic"; e.g. the Mayans could start farming everywhere they lived; but here corn is put in tile 171/46 which means the capital can't have any boost from that ressource. So I changed it to tile 171/47 in the capital's area and now Mayans are more likely to resist against the Aztecs. Similar changes I did to Great Britain as England will mostly win over the Celts (partly this can't be avoided as Scotland is poorer area, but Scotland has been given 0 strategic ressources); also South India (Dravidians) are mostly weaker than the Indians because of a total misbalance in strategic ressources. Also Poland has 0 (!) food ressources near the capital as they can't get any profit of the wheat, compared to neighbours; and so on. I didn't change that many resources, but I focussed on the number of food ressources in the capital's area + strategic ressources (horses, copper, iron, elephants) in the wider area of a civilization. As I said those disbalances are mostly unrealistic to me, because they are based on arbitrary placement of ressources which could be found also elsewhere.
For "improving" the AI city founding logic in only a few cases, e.g. I enhanced the area with the oasis and the Elephant/ivory near the Carthagians because they very unlikely built a city there although they always founded less cities compared to Berbers and Mali. I put one sheep in that area which I took from somewhere else.
In whole I did quite a lot of changes which is impossible to explain them all of them here for the moment. But for all of them I ran a lot of tests with AI auto control on to get sure, it are well balanced changes.

Other mistakes:
Unfortunately I found a few other mistakes which also apply to other files than the map.
The city founding list of Gran Colombia (Bolivar) contains only Mexican cities (!), which looks weird and unrealistic as you would expect cites from Colombia / Venezuela / Ecuador. I examined a more realistic city list based on the biggest cites of Gran Colombia at Bolivar's time. If you wish I can provide you this list to include it in the mod
The Brazilian / Amazonian rain forest cities of the Amazonian tribes are an area of permanent unrest and revolts; unfortunately even cites are razed in revolts which gives the Incas more land to settle - a real advantage compared to all the other civilizations. Nowhere else "tribal civilizations" face so big problems in their cities. I think it's triggered by the unhealthy environment of the rain forest (?) - so I put one more tribal fort per city to make it as stable area as all the other tribal civilizations.

Also I found four mistakes in the DynamicCityNaming file. Variety_Wien has a Polish variety "Wiedeń". Unfortunately the diacritic mark can't be represented in the game so it shows up as "Wiede?"
VARIETY_CONSTANTINOPLE states "Kaiserstadt" for 'CIVILIZATION_GERMANY' which is totally wrong. I am German, I hold a bachelor degree in history and middle eastern studies and I can assure you this is impossible and totally wrong. It must be changed to "Konstantinopel" for Germany. I have no idea how someone got that idea of "Kaiserstadt" - maybe someone misunderstood the German Wikipedia article about Constantinople where it's mentioned that Slavic languages refer to Constantinople as something that could be translated as "Kaiserstadt" in German- still it's just a translation from Slavic names of the city to German and not the German term for the city.
VARIETY_CAIRO: ("Al-Quahira", 'CIVILIZATION_ARABIA'): As I have a master degree in Arab language I can assure you that this is wrong as well (: It must be "Al-Qahira" and not Al-Quahira; you can ask wikipedia or the internet, I think it's easy to confirm.
LEADER_INCA_ROCA: I think it must be "LEADER_INCAROCA" without "_". When I played with Inca Roca the game chose only city names from the standard list of Inca cities, not the list for Inca Roca in the DynamicCityNaming file. As far as I understood I think the "_" must be deleted to refer the city founding names correctly to the proposed list of Inca Roca, as the leader is written without "_" also in other files like the civilopedia file.

I hope I didn't bother you with my long list. Let me know if you want to know more about any of my changes.

28 Jan 2020, o 14:47
Warlord

Will we get a standard size earth map?

Does the 100x56 map (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1555) needs a revamp to be played?

28 Jan 2020, o 23:18
Warlord

I mean, will the map RI_EarthEvolution3_EarthLargeRI come updated with the new, soon to come, 3.5 release?

29 Jan 2020, o 11:38
Trainee

29 Jan 2020, o 16:17
Warlord

What is this meme about?

I finally overcame svn stalling on checkout on linux, and I'm playtesting latest with the standard earth map.

30 Jan 2020, o 10:46
RI Team

RI_EarthEvolution3_EarthLargeRI has been included in SVN (as a map script) since forever. And the meme is this (recognizing it as a fellow Russian, despite it being non-Russian in origin): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculus_loxodontus

30 Jan 2020, o 16:31
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]