View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 25 Nov 2020, o 19:26

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Is the large/huge Earth map meant to be finished? 
Trainee

Post Is the large/huge Earth map meant to be finished?
I'm currently at a point in my large Earth game that I can't progress anymore due to crashing at a specific turn. I've been reading a lot of topics on this and I came to an interesting reply that said the Earth maps are naturally unstable because of memory issues. Is this true?

Is there a way for me to perhaps reduce save file bloat by reducing graphics or doing some tweaking to allow me to finish an Earth scenario?

20 Mar 2020, o 00:44
RI Team

Post Re: Is the large/huge Earth map meant to be finished?
TBH, no idea. I think there's a natural save game size (around 4MB) that always starts causing problems, even on 64-bit systems. I don't really know if your issue is linked to that or not. A save game to look at might help.

20 Mar 2020, o 02:40
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
TBH, no idea. I think there's a natural save game size (around 4MB) that always starts causing problems, even on 64-bit systems. I don't really know if your issue is linked to that or not. A save game to look at might help.

I see. Yeah my save game is now at 3.5MB. Currently I have my graphic settings at high. However, I'm gonna try out a new civ in the large Earth map but this time I'm gonna set my graphics to low. Do you think this would help? How exactly do you reduce the size of a save file?

I'll work on putting out a save game but for now I just wanna understand how I can reduce save game bloat. On a side note, I have never had this type of crashing when I play on large random maps

20 Mar 2020, o 07:17
RI Team

This will not help at all. Save game size is only affected by the actual game information, and your graphics settings don't affect your actual game. And even large random maps are generally smaller (and definitely have fewer civs) than Earth map scenarios.

20 Mar 2020, o 09:33
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
This will not help at all. Save game size is only affected by the actual game information, and your graphics settings don't affect your actual game. And even large random maps are generally smaller (and definitely have fewer civs) than Earth map scenarios.

I see. So it seems earth maps won't reach industrial or modern era with the way the save game size works.

Here is the save game: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/r72wd49k ... v0j2fl8b5c

Please let me know if there is anything that can be done with that save

20 Mar 2020, o 18:34
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:

Any feedback to this? I posted a save game file if you can look at it.

22 Mar 2020, o 01:19
RI Team

I could salvage this save game in somewhat intact state by killing several minor civs (one in Australia and two in Africa). The CTD is not related to savegame size, it's something much more cryptic - some elusive bug that I can't really place in the code; sometimes, unpredictably, it causes persistent CTDs, but I have no idea how or why. I am also not sure how far you will be able to continue without experiencing further CTDs, but it seems to work for now at least.

https://easyupload.io/3m2cha

23 Mar 2020, o 11:51
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
I could salvage this save game in somewhat intact state by killing several minor civs (one in Australia and two in Africa). The CTD is not related to savegame size, it's something much more cryptic - some elusive bug that I can't really place in the code; sometimes, unpredictably, it causes persistent CTDs, but I have no idea how or why. I am also not sure how far you will be able to continue without experiencing further CTDs, but it seems to work for now at least.

https://easyupload.io/3m2cha

Hi that is interesting to hear! However, I can't seem to access the file you uploaded, keeps giving me access denied. Could you please reupload it somehow?

24 Mar 2020, o 20:47
RI Team

https://filebin.net/y2nbmjvrozw0tym7

25 Mar 2020, o 04:13
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
https://filebin.net/y2nbmjvrozw0tym7

Nice, it finally worked!

So you fixed this by removing some of the minor civs? Do you think it would further improve stability if I get rid of the minor civs from the game?

25 Mar 2020, o 05:30
RI Team

Nope. It's just those particular were causing a CTD for some reason.

25 Mar 2020, o 06:43
Trainee

I had a similar issue, I posted my savegame in the bugs section. I was hoping to be the only one with these kind of issues instead it's a well known one =_=

25 Mar 2020, o 10:41
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
Nope. It's just those particular were causing a CTD for some reason.

So I played the file you sent me. It does work for a few turns (~ 10 turns) but unfortunately it still crashes. Really wish I could play the earth map with the new separatism mechanics but it seems it might be unstable. I'll try playing another campaign and see if I could make it to the industrial age.

27 Mar 2020, o 05:00
RI Team

Unlikely. I considered removing the huge Earth map altogether in 3.5 TBH, as I'm not sure if it should be considered playable with all that stuff.

27 Mar 2020, o 05:07
Trainee

So I found a solution to the crashing issue. I was crashing every 3-4 turns before it. I googled a program that would assign 4GB of RAM to the .exe file running RI. I did that and it has ran perfectly since, no issues.

29 Mar 2020, o 12:44
Trainee

GamerDrew13 wrote:
So I found a solution to the crashing issue. I was crashing every 3-4 turns before it. I googled a program that would assign 4GB of RAM to the .exe file running RI. I did that and it has ran perfectly since, no issues.

This exactly what I'm always looking for! I'm in trouble too...
Would you like to share that program or tell me where to get such a program?

1 Apr 2020, o 20:37
Trainee

Alienware wrote:
GamerDrew13 wrote:

I remember trying a similar method to solve this problem 3-4 years ago and it only helped temporarily, the error still appeared, only later. Huge Earth map can't be finished until the original game developers fix the problem or release the source code.

7 Apr 2020, o 01:58
Trainee

My huge map earth game just recently reached around 5.3mb in the late renaissance era and now it crashes every 1-2 turns :(
I've spent weeks on this game and was really hoping to get to the late era. The map should just be removed if it can't be played past a certain era to not disappoint people. Is there a smaller earth map that is completely playable to the end?

System specs:
Windows 10 x64
GTX 1070M
16GB RAM
intel i78500k
SSD

Also a few things I've noticed:
-Being the first to research a tech that gives you a great person or free tech doesn't give you the great person or free tech
-The vassalage system is broken, in my earth map game Tokugawa has like 10-15 vassals

Now I am depressed that I cannot span across the entire world with the glorious british empire :(

Other than that this is an awesome mod and has brought me back into civ 4 which I hadn't actively played in over 10 years.

My save: (I just googled a file upload site) https://gofile.io/?c=5Y7Lga

12 Apr 2020, o 07:00
Trainee

Alienware wrote:
GamerDrew13 wrote:

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

But be warned: this only delays the issue in my experience. I really wish windows 10 could assign more than 4GB to a .exe file, that might be the only solution to the issue I posted above. Maybe I should wait for windows 12? lol

12 Apr 2020, o 07:03
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:

Hey walter, have you considered reaching out to the game devs or firaxis for source code or anything else before? With everyone stuck inside on quarantine, this might be a good chance to contact dev Soren Johnson at soren.johnson@gmail.com. Maybe it would be possible for him to convert the game into 64 bit?

12 Apr 2020, o 09:27
RI Team

Nah, I'm finished with Civ 4, so it would have to be someone else. I once tried reaching out to Firaxis to release art assets from the beta (they had a bunch of units there that looked differently), but got rejected. And Soren Johnson hasn't been working for Firaxis for a long while IIRC.

13 Apr 2020, o 04:50
Trainee

GamerDrew13 wrote:
Now I am depressed that I cannot span across the entire world with the glorious british empire :(

I had the same feelings when I couldn't finish the Muslim-Chinese conquest of America, stopped at Renaissance. That was the reason I switched to Civ5 Vox Populi, another great mod. Although the Civ 4 is my favorite, Vox Populi has a lot of interesting ideas and mechanics that can grab you as well as RI.

18 Apr 2020, o 22:09
Trainee

TOLYAN wrote:
GamerDrew13 wrote:

I had the same feelings when I couldn't finish the Muslim-Chinese conquest of America, stopped at Renaissance. That was the reason I switched to Civ5 Vox Populi, another great mod. Although the Civ 4 is my favorite, Vox Populi has a lot of interesting ideas and mechanics that can grab you as well as RI.

Unfortunately in my opinion the AI in Civ 5 is so retarded it's completely unplayable, and overcompensation of AI with bonuses just compounds the issue and makes the game even more unplayable. In Civ 4 and especially with RI's AI, I was actually occasionally getting outsmarted and it was much more challenging.

20 Apr 2020, o 09:25
Trainee

GamerDrew13 wrote:
TOLYAN wrote:
GamerDrew13 wrote:

Unfortunately in my opinion the AI in Civ 5 is so retarded it's completely unplayable, and overcompensation of AI with bonuses just compounds the issue and makes the game even more unplayable. In Civ 4 and especially with RI's AI, I was actually occasionally getting outsmarted and it was much more challenging.

Are you sure you were playing Vox Populi and not just civ5? Because it's not true, Vox Populi AI fixed and has no/very small bonuses even on Deity (but you have penalties on Deity).

20 Apr 2020, o 23:39
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]