View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 Oct 2021, o 00:09

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Realism Invictus Huge Europe Map 
Trainee

Post Realism Invictus Huge Europe Map
Hey there,

I was really hoping someone would eventually make a Europe map for Realism Invictus like the one in Beyond the Sword. I never found one, though, so I created one myself using BtS's as a template. It is a huge-size Europe scenario with 21 playable European (mostly) civilizations in their correct(ish) locations.

Resources are randomized upon generation because I didn't have the perseverance to go through that hassle (although, I like that it adds an element of unpredictability). If someone wants to populate it with a realistic resource distribution, I'd be overjoyed!

However, I am a complete and utter newbie, and I have no idea where/how to upload/attach these files. If anyone can help me out here, I'd love to share what I have.

(PS. I also made a slightly altered version so that only the Abrahamic religions--Judaism, Christianity, Islam--can be founded, since those are the religions that have been most influential in Europe. If that kind of thing appeals to anyone, I can share it as well.)

2 Aug 2015, o 01:58
RI Team

Post Re: Realism Invictus Huge Europe Map
Just use one of the very numerous file upload services on the web (like http://www.filedropper.com/ or http://www.tinyupload.com/), or just upload it to CFC file database (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php).

2 Aug 2015, o 12:08
Trainee

Hi, I was really happy to find out someone done that.
I was planning to do either that, or even a totally new map featuring only a part of europe in an enlarged scale. I know it's tons of work, so I would really appreciate it if I could find your map uploaded somewhere (and I'm sure it's not just me). So if you read this please upload it if you haven't yet, and tell us where to get it.
Thanks a lot!

12 Jun 2016, o 19:15
Trainee

Hi there,

I was also looking for this kind of Map.

As no download links where available for your version I wanted to create my very own Large Europe map for RI.
I am currently encountering some problems as I am not able to edit a BtS or even Vanilla Europe map with RI:
- I launch a RI savedgame,
- Open the worldbuild
- load the map
- choose a civilisation
- RI crashs

What am I doing wrong ?

Many thanks for your replies :)

20 Aug 2016, o 17:10
RI Team

Stock BtS maps have to be updated to work with RI. At the very least, the number of teams in the WorldBuilder file should be set to whatever we have in RI (61 off the top of my head, but just check in any of our scenario files), even if said teams are empty. If there are some units/buildings/civs on the map, ensure they also exist in RI. After that, you should be able to load the map.

21 Aug 2016, o 03:17
Trainee

Thank you very much for the reply.
Sounds very clear (even for a novice like me :))

It is not directly related to the main topic but: Are they any 3rd party CIV IV editor worthy of using ?

21 Aug 2016, o 05:44
RI Team

You can search CFC for those, but I can't help you here, as I don't use any.

21 Aug 2016, o 06:04
Trainee

Ok, thank you anyway.

The editing is super clear by itself, so I'll probably deal with it.

I read somewhere that you considered specific maps as a waste of time :(
I am not near being done, but do you want me to upload it somewhere once it's finished?

21 Aug 2016, o 06:47
RI Team

Of course! If it's nice, we'll include it in the next version with credit to you, as well.

"Waste of time" is a bit harsh way to put it, but when we manage our time working on the mod, there is simply so much to do regarding overall content and balance that we simply don't have time for specific maps. That doesn't mean that we despise them and don't want to see them made :-)

21 Aug 2016, o 09:49
Trainee

Hi there,

Sorry for the long silence, I just came back from some holidays.

Thanks to your indications and advice, I managed to adapt a first version of the map for Europe.

There are still some things to fine tune like:
- Should all the religions be available ...?
- Raging barbarians? Barbarian world ?
- I tried to recycle "minor civilization", but all of them don't develop very well (Maybe I should replace them)
- Resources are a big issue: You don't have all the resources in Europe, and their spread is a problem when you consider balancing the game. Right now, the resource distribution is fantasist...
- Due to overcrowding in central Europe, some major civilization face hard time to survive (Germans, Frenchs). I may consider adapting the difficulty for them

The map features next to 40 nice playable civilizations, based on what you provided in RI (Including: Austria, Ukraine, Pontus, Viking, Scandinavians, Finland, Transoxiania, Scotland etc. Some of them being a little bit redundant) .
I have to admit I had no idea about the amount of work related to map creation and I clearly understand you cannot update/maintain a ton of "realistic maps" and I get why you prefer Map generator's.
I personally have always loved playing on "Earth" maps since Civ I ^^' so that's why I worked on this map.

I'm currently testing it (only made one game so far, not finished yet).

-> When I'm done with my first game, I will upload it here so that anyone can test it and suggest adaptations before we can think about considering having a new map :p

Please excuse my English, which is not, obviously, my first language.

4 Sep 2016, o 18:58
Trainee

Can we insert images in here ? :
http://imgur.com/a/sCYZ1

4 Sep 2016, o 19:08
RI Team

That looks very juicy, and we would gladly include it when it's finished!

4 Sep 2016, o 23:51
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]