View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 14 Dec 2018, o 21:57

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 More suggestions 
Trainee

Post More suggestions
A few things I've been tinkering with that I think would work to include in the mod - I've de-nerfed Pagan Temples so that they're discontinued on Theology, but don't go obsolete and aren't automatically removed by having any religion in a city. I like the distinctiveness they give to the game, and there are certainly real-world examples of indigenous religions surviving to the present day.
I like how you handled switching the Castrum over to the Arsenale (I originally didn't realize this and thought it was a fun nod to how Italy wound up being a bit incompetent in the modern era), but the one bit that didn't make it from the regular barracks was the happiness bonus for Imperialistic leaders, so I put that in.
I've tried to get the Barbarians to be a bit more technologically competitive by switching their 40% tech malus to 25%, but I realized they just aren't budgeting any research period. I still want to find some way to get those pirate ships to show up in Renaissance, but given that actual civs are on wildly different pages technologically by then anyway it's probably a moot point (though I hope that shortening tech gaps in general is on the list). The one solution I have to the issue is to go in and give everyone, including Barbs, a copy of The Internet once one civ builds it (which is basically how the modern world is working anyway).

10 Jan 2018, o 13:50
RI Team

Post Re: More suggestions
On pagans - in most places in Eurasia (and half of Africa), pagan religions were wiped out by around 1000 AD. What you're suggesting is ensuring they are never wiped out.

On Arsenale - noted and will be fixed.

On barbarians - we will probably try a somewhat more complex rework if we have time/manpower.

18 Jan 2018, o 16:59
Trainee

vis. pagans, the temples are available only if you're actively running the Paganism civic (other religious civics become more attractive as the game progresses). Plus any growth your civ undergoes after Theology won't include pagan temples - unless you've built Statue Of Zeus, which will allow one civ to have access to pagan temples indefinitely. The best example I can cite for this is Japan - seeing the Shinto Shrines go obsolete almost instantly is a bit ridiculous when Shinto is a living religion to this day. So basically, you can have cases where paganism can coexist with an organized religion at the cost of making that religion less effective (which is the case historically) and one rare case where paganism can survive as a modern religion (which is the case historically).
This probably dovetails more with my own playstyle, where I limit civs to only founding religions they're historically associated with. This means it's harder to found a religion, so having a temporary alternative (either Cult Of Personality via Shwedagon Paya, or my version of Paganism) is more important. If you'd like to consider this as a way to make flavor religion founding workable in the main mod, I'd certainly take that as a bonus.

20 Jan 2018, o 02:03
RI Team

In 3.4, State Shintoism is a flavor version of Solar Cult. In general, if paganism survives long enough, it should historically become an organized religion - take Hinduism, for example, which also started out as a collection of pagan beliefs.

20 Jan 2018, o 04:14
Noble

my 2 biggest suggestions for this great mod has been the following since day 1 of me playing this:

1) A europe map (completed, thank you very much, its a very good map, although I'd make more focus on europe than asia/india and simply erase all the land east of persia )

2) A peace timer which you can set in options which prevents nations from declaring war (or maybe as an option, have a tech somewhere in the middle ages which allows declaration of war? is this something I could mod in myself?)

21 Apr 2018, o 03:54
RI Team

Don't know about the timer. Will check how easy it is to implement.

21 Apr 2018, o 04:50
Trainee

The Egyptian's Khemet farm are deadly on generator maps. It gives too much yields than other improvements.

24 May 2018, o 03:41
RI Team

Only if one is lucky enough to have proper terrain for them. I usually turn flood plain generation to vanilla (desert only) when I use PG.

24 May 2018, o 09:37
Noble

on the huge europe map poland should probably get some wheat somewhere since historically poland was the granary of europe and yet there's not a single source of wheat. same with ukraine.

The persian start could be improved. None of its cities around have any early game food

26 Jun 2018, o 03:46
Trainee

I'm curious as to why some civilizations are non-playable while others are playable? I mean, it could be interesting to play as any of the Native American tribes, or other non-playable civs. is there some way they can be changed to playable?

also, I don't know code for squat, would love to learn

3 Oct 2018, o 08:42
RI Team

Because they are half-finished at most compared to other civs. They are only present to be used in scenarios, such as world maps, usually with severe restrictions placed on them. They could technically be made playable, but that wouldn't be enjoyable, since they lack most stuff that normal playable civs have in RI.

And if you want to learn to do stuff, Civfanatics has a great tutorial section for aspiring modders. https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/c ... rence.177/

4 Oct 2018, o 02:27
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
Because they are half-finished at most compared to other civs. They are only present to be used in scenarios, such as world maps, usually with severe restrictions placed on them. They could technically be made playable, but that wouldn't be enjoyable, since they lack most stuff that normal playable civs have in RI.

And if you want to learn to do stuff, Civfanatics has a great tutorial section for aspiring modders. https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/c ... rence.177/

had a thought on this last night. why not use the Native American Civilization from Civ 4 BTS as a template for the non-playable native american civs, (keeping with that theme) then there's the baseline Babylonian Civ which could be used as a template, could possibly use the Aztecs as a template for the Mexican civ, etc etc

7 Oct 2018, o 06:58
RI Team

As a template to do what?

7 Oct 2018, o 15:36
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
As a template to do what?

my thought was to use the Native American civilization from Civ 4 BTS as a template to make the non-playable native American civs from RI playable. could also use the Babylonian civ from BTS to make it playable in RI.

13 Oct 2018, o 05:14
RI Team

How would you use it as a "template" to make it playable? I don't understand what you mean by template in this case, and how would it help to add tons of content an RI civ needs to be fully playable.

14 Oct 2018, o 12:52
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
How would you use it as a "template" to make it playable? I don't understand what you mean by template in this case, and how would it help to add tons of content an RI civ needs to be fully playable.

I was meaning that in the sense of simply taking the civilization as it stands (taking the Babylonian Empire for example)

take what's there in Civ4 BTS and then take the Babylonian Empire from RI and meld the two adding to the RI civ what the BTS civ has, then playtest out the bugs.
that way the Babylonians can be made playable.

same for the Native American Empire from BTS, take it and add/meld into the native American non-playable civs in RI, then again playtest out the bugs. use the Incans for the Patagonian tribes, the Aztecs for the Mexicans, and so on

17 Oct 2018, o 23:31
RI Team

Why? There would still be not nearly enough content for each by RI standards. The ACTUAL playable status can just be changed with one XML tag, but that wouldn't magically give a civ all the units, leaders, leader-specific city sets, great people, etc. that a civ has to have to be playable in RI. And of course those things aren't found in vanilla BtS, or there would be no point of having this mod.

18 Oct 2018, o 01:59
Trainee

once more what to me is a simple thought process and a simple idea, has been shot down due to possible overthinking. [please keep in mind I said possible (not trying to hurt any feelings)]

when I said "use as a template" and all I was thinking of simply not just cut/copy and paste, but also recoding (if needed) elements of the Native American (for example) civ from BtS to possibly move and/or make new units, buildings, leaders [(if applicable) if not just moving a few from the Crusader kingdoms, Minor European nations etc]

so in effect, one could use the Russians to "make" the (2?) Ukraine nations (or merge them into 1?); use the Hungarians and Germans to make the Austrians....etc

now, this is all very simplified, I'm VERY sure there would be several more steps needed. those steps, and that's something I'm not aware of/not sure what they are

when it comes to buildings, the unique and distinctive can remain for the currently non-playable civilizations, but the others can be used as if the given civilization is of a given civilization (for example, the Native American civs could all be clustered in with the Aztecs, Incans and Mayans)

I guess in the midst of all of this the main thing I'm not aware of is what all is needed to make a given civilization the status of playable by RI standards. and I probably should stop while I'm behind until I know the answer to that, then give the whole operation more thought (which to most who read this might be [yeah, just maybe] common sense)

22 Nov 2018, o 13:36
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]