View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 Jan 2019, o 08:28

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Naval Warfare 
Trainee

Post Naval Warfare
The problem old civ-games had, that AIs couldn't make a decent naval warfare including invasions over seas are over. Thanks for that.

BUT (there is always a "but"): Why can't the AI limit itself to a number of ships, that is reasonable.

In my present game (year 1127 AD) I now got vision to most of the Greek cities - most costal cities are filled with biremes. I can see 49(!) which gives a capacity of 98 landunits (it's about 2 times the number of landtroops I can see they have). Besides I can only see 4 real warships (mediterranean triremes). There might be some more landtroops since Greece (no. 15 in power) is in hot war with England (no. 17 in power) and I can see active fighting is going on (Greece has just conquered an english city).

Would it somehow be possible to limit/chance the number of troops/ships the AI makes - fx. that they stop making more transportships when they can "lift" their whole army 1 time and not 2 or 3 times? And that they have a little more focus on real warships and more landtroops. A concept could be like this: We set the number of landtroops to 100 (no matter how many units that is): Then the number of transportships (capacity of 2-3 landtroops) should not exceed 33% and the number of real warships not exceed 50%.

I say the AI is putting too many ressources into less valueable units.

Right now my own numbers are (landtroops/transportships (cog's)/warships (dakkar)) 155/15/55 and I'm no. 1 in military power.

18 Nov 2018, o 02:57
RI Team

Post Re: Naval Warfare
While limiting naval capacity to available facilities is an interesting thought, having more transports than you need for an invasion is actually a very viable strategy I saw used against me. Under most circumstances, you have only one or two turns to react, and if you physically can't kill enough transports, they land successfully. That might, in the long run, be cheaper for an attacker than actually building military ships.

18 Nov 2018, o 04:54
Trainee

Ohh, the AI has also tried this on me several times. They lost. It's suicide. Sometimes they manage to invade my island, but only with ½ or so of the number of troops they came with. Most often they withdraw when I have destroyed half their fleet and ask for peace.

Of course "one" can argue, that I'm kind of cheating. Because I choose which kind of map I want to play on and what type of leader I choose to play with.

I choose a map with many-many continents - one for each nation. I choose Christian IV as leadertype since he is good at sea. Then it doesn't matter that much for me, that he also is a bad commander (I can handle that).

Based on above, I KNOW how important any science towards a bigger and stronger fleet is and I prefer them above others if it makes sense to me. I also tries to get my knar's to get first "round the earth" to get that extra movepoint, knowing if I wait too long with that, the AIs can block the passage of my ships if they like by simple expanding of their nations.

I just can't look away from my earlier experiences here.....

So the AI must be better to handle it too. Maybe leaders with a trait for seafaring could have (even) more focus on naval sciences??????

20 Nov 2018, o 02:12
RI Team

Well, I don't really meddle in AI stuff, so this isn't going to translate into any tangible changes anyway... AI comes from K-Mod "as is".

20 Nov 2018, o 02:19
Trainee

As RI uses K-Mod as is for its AI, does this mean that RI has done no modifications to the AI?

25 Dec 2018, o 16:14
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]