View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 14 Dec 2019, o 00:55

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Unit Terrain Modifications 
Trainee

Post Unit Terrain Modifications
It's by no means a necessary feature, but a suggestion I had that I was wondering if the mod team had ever thought about it.

I was thinking military units might be able to modify the terrain to give defending units a slight defensive advantage. For example, putting down cheval de frise to give defending units like a 5-10% bonus against enemy cavalry, or earthworks to give them a slight bonus against infantry and some protection against collateral damage from artillery.

You could either have all military units able to do this, or just some specific ones (perhaps the main infantry line). Alternatively, it could be locked behind a "Combat Engineer" promotion or even just have workers be able to do it so that military stacks could start carrying around a worker or two as an engineer division.

You could even get access to better field defenses as the game progresses, like barbed wire or pillboxes in the later ages. In all ages, they would give less defensive bonus than a fort proper. Not sure whether or not they could be built alongside an existing improvement, although it would make no sense why you couldn't dig a trench through a village it might be hard to implement.

Some other problems I thought of were: whether or not you could get the AI to use it, and whether or not the AI will be effective at using it and countering it. There's also the issue of dotting the landscape with these terrain modifications, but they could just be temporary, disappearing in 15-30 turns.

Was this something the devs ever considered?

21 Nov 2019, o 07:54
Trainee

Post Re: Unit Terrain Modifications
Isn't this what the fortofication bonus represents? Some more depth to it would be nice, though, like promotions or something to make a unit better at fortifying.
'Combat engineer' units that could build forts would also be nice.

21 Nov 2019, o 10:07
Trainee

Post Re: Unit Terrain Modifications
That is a good point actually, I had forgotten about the fortification bonus.

21 Nov 2019, o 15:57
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]