View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2 Dec 2020, o 03:40

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 New Technologies at end of Tech-Tree 
Trainee

Post New Technologies at end of Tech-Tree
Hello all,

Long time user of Civ4, relatively new-time user of Realims Invictus (why didn't I do this earlier?!?)

Anyway, I love the principle of Realims Invictus, but I'm also thinking that to be true to it, we'll need a different tech tree of 'modern' technologies. Professionally I monitor new technologies and hence if I can contribute I'm more than willing to do the work. I'm new to modding though.

What I suggest, and why;
1 - Add about 3-6 new technologies, in 15 years a lot has happenend and new technologies have radically changed our society, think about social media, HPC/Quantum computing, Mobile and IoT technology, new forms of environementally sustainable farming, changes in our diets, Being able to tunnel through mountains. etc. If desired I'd like to propose a set of technologies with the feedback I receive on this post.

2 - These technologies should have a few world wonders, e.g. Facebook (team project) for social media, 'quantum internet' for quantum, Adaptive maintanence for IoT, etc.

3 - Most importantly some of the game dynamics should change, as we are a globally interconnected world, culture is beginning to migrate digitally across national borders. In fact it is a tool in war for some nations. Once we reach certain technologies such abilities should be able to be shown in the mod, e.g. much faster cultural growth, depending on cultural pressure from other nations with open borders, but with cultural spread from those countries inside your cities/towns. Yes it will become a jumble of culture, but isn't that the case already in the largest cities in the world? Isn't that what we try to do with realism invictus?

4 (optional) - Overpopulation and migration. This might be too much for now, but I'd like your feedback either way. Eventually we'll reach the end of the tech tree (provided how you play, and where you start), this means cities will go to maximum capacity. Or wars will break out, global warming might strike (or cooling). People will migrate to other places who are doing better, or due to war. I'd suggest again making a condition on the trade system, where immigration is done based upon factors of economic prowess and culture. Perhaps we can even open up cities workable plots beyond the normal range to facilitate commuting based on infrastructure present, and technological capacities achieved. (this will require a technology 'personal transportation' and perhaps 'modern transportation'.

Curious to hear what the forum thinks! And more than willing to contribute!

24 Oct 2020, o 06:14
RI Team

Post Re: New Technologies at end of Tech-Tree
This is intentional. The mod has a cut-off point of 20 years ago (which, admittedly, has shifted from the late 80s to 2000 during the time of the mod's development due to the fact that it started ~15 years ago). We specifically decided not to try and model the actual modern world.

24 Oct 2020, o 12:56
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]