View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 Apr 2021, o 00:35

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Great Generals on the Battlefield 
Trainee

Post Great Generals on the Battlefield
I had an idea, I'm not a modder but would it be possible to have the Great Generals provide 'leadership' aid, which would counter-act the negative effects of 'crowding' for stacks of greater than 15 units? That would give Great Generals another purpose, much like in Civ V where a Great General nearby gives the troops a fighting bonus. Just a thought, wondered what anyone thought.

16 May 2012, o 23:23
RI Team

Post Re: Great Generals on the Battlefield
Hm, an interesting idea indeed. That would be quite meaningful, although it would somewhat defeat the idea of that promo. Maybe raising the limit, but not preventing overcrowding as a whole...

17 May 2012, o 12:28
Trainee

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
Hm, an interesting idea indeed. That would be quite meaningful, although it would somewhat defeat the idea of that promo. Maybe raising the limit, but not preventing overcrowding as a whole...

Agreed- I was thinking along the lines of about 45-55 units. I play on a high difficulty, and the computer keeps enormous stacks that are able to overwhelm even the best-trained 15 unit stacks. A defender has a big advantage, esp if he has a good transport network. He can keep his stacks in his cities, and attack with individual units until the invading force is too weak to advance. I like the idea that it takes a Great General to successfully invade a peer-strength opponent.

I'm not a modder but I can muck about in XML a bit. Where is the file that controls crowding? I looked for it under the file with the other negative promos, but it wasn't there.

17 May 2012, o 16:18
RI Team

xero052 wrote:
Walter Hawkwood wrote:

Agreed- I was thinking along the lines of about 45-55 units. I play on a high difficulty, and the computer keeps enormous stacks that are able to overwhelm even the best-trained 15 unit stacks. A defender has a big advantage, esp if he has a good transport network. He can keep his stacks in his cities, and attack with individual units until the invading force is too weak to advance. I like the idea that it takes a Great General to successfully invade a peer-strength opponent.

I'm not a modder but I can muck about in XML a bit. Where is the file that controls crowding? I looked for it under the file with the other negative promos, but it wasn't there.

I'm almost sure that you could only raise the generic crowding limit in XML (if even that; I don't seem to remember where we kept the value), but for stuff we discussed you'd need Python/SDK.

17 May 2012, o 22:42
Noble

In some mods like RoM, Great generals can acquire XP when unit in their stack fight battles, which can then be used for getting promos which would effect the whole stack. So if it is implemented in RI,we can have a promo which would increase the stack limit. In realism sense a good general would be able to handle larger armies much better than an inexperienced poor general. What do u think?

9 Sep 2012, o 12:44
Trainee

There must be a units limit on the plot. It is not enough to make a penalty. You cannot have 50 unit on one square...maybe a general or other things could increase a limit.

11 Dec 2020, o 04:15
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]