View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 17 Oct 2021, o 23:04

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Memory manager 
Warlord

Post Memory manager
JUST INFO:

Got this as a reply on the CivFanaticForum.

It might be useful - I don't know - but I'm going to try it in my next game (or maybe reload an old savegame, that I know failed).

I'm fairly new to the game, and this is probably my first post...

First, great pics!

I picked up Civ 4 in a bargain bin many years ago and decided to install it last year. I was able to track down a copy of BTS and installed that, as well. I also loaded up a few of the mods to try. I played Advanced Civ and a little bit of C2C before settling on Realism Invictus. I may try FfH2 at some point.

I'm loving this game, too.

For the memory problems/crashes, I think I found a solution that works for me. It was suggested for another game, but works well here to. The app is called Process Lasso from Bitsum. It runs in the background and monitors/optimizes all the process that are running on your PC. It manages the priorities to keep background processes from hogging the CPU from foreground processes.

One feature it has is a thing called Trim. It will execute a Trim to have certain processes release memory at designated conditions. The other feature is Process Watchdog. This is a tool to monitor a specific process and take certain defined actions when defined conditions occur.

For Civ 4, I have a Watchdog set to Trim the working set memory whenever it exceeds 825Mb. I have not had an in-game memory problem ever since. The only problem is when I try to load a saved game from a running game. It crashes me to the desktop, but then I just restart and load the saved game fresh.

And I'm playing the historical scenario with 55 Civs and the Huge Earth map. I'm currently in game year 1781 and my save game file is 6,148kb.

JohnCarterOfMars, Yesterday at 8:44 PM
Unlike
+ Quote
You and f1rpo like this.

12 Aug 2021, o 01:42
Warlord

Post Re: Memory manager
After ending my last full game 11th August (the one I won by domination), I wanted to test this memory manager.

Until now I'm quite pleased - I have never had such a large savegame file than this one before (4.254kB). And the game is still working as it should(!).

I used an older "version" of the game I won, loaded a "version", where revolutions had been on from start and until I "got enough" at turn 1323, year 1058. With stats as below and a savegame file, that grow bigger and bigger much too fast - even though I turned revolutions off "some turns" earlier - I decided to end it and restart same game but without revolutions.

Stats for the ended game:
turn 1323 Year 1058 Savegame 3497 kb revolution Off (turned off at turn ???) nations alive: 12 Starting 9 rebels nations dead: 3 Starting 8 rebels total active 32

Starts for the game where I restarted it with the memory manager installed:
turn 1267 Year 1002 Savegame 3363 kb revolution On nations alive: 14 Starting 11 rebels nations dead: 1 Starting 6 rebels total active 32

And stats for the game upto where I now have the biggest savegame file ever:

turn - Year 1145 Savegame 3730 kb revolution On 1st error, had to change ownership for a city under attack from an AI to babarian. Problem solved, game could be continued.

turn Year 1153 Savegame 3743 kb revolution On 2nd error, had to change ownership for a city under attack from 2 other Ais. Problem solved, game could be continued.

turn Year 1153 Savegame - kb revolution On nations alive: 12 Starting 9 rebels nations dead: 3 Starting 8 rebels total active 32

turn Year 1208 Savegame 3850 kb revolution On 3rd error, AI attacking another AI-city. Tried to delete attacking AI-army. Problem solved, game could be continued.
turn Year 1210 Savegame 3845 kb revolution turned Off due to above. Afterall it was the memory manager I wanted to test, not if the problem(s) with revolutions could be solved. As you also might see, one of the starting nations has restarted sometime between year 1153 and 1208/1210.
turn Year 1210 Savegame - kb revolution Off nations alive: 13 Starting 9 rebels nations dead: 2 Starting 10 rebels total active 34

turn Year jan 1484 Savegame 3497 kb revolution Off 4th error, game stopped working and answering. Game stopped via Windows Task-manager. Game restarted, problem solved.

turn 1783 Year jan 1499 Savegame 4254 kb revolution Off nations alive: 13 Starting 5 rebels nations dead: 2 Starting 14 rebels total active 34

Now I'm going to continue the game. With nearly 1500 turns yet, I want to see how far I can "press" the memory manager and the game...............

20 Aug 2021, o 07:46
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]