View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Apr 2017, o 08:22

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Military units (ramping and promotions) 
Trainee

Post Military units (ramping and promotions)
In general, I like the idea of military units costing more the more you have of them. HOWEVER, I feel this penalises larger empires a bit TOO much, and I think that this should perhaps be rethought a bit.
One suggestion I have for that is tying the ramp-up costs to a relationship between population levels (or cities) and units, or between soldiers and population in the demographics.

The upgrade costs get absolutely ridiculous after just a few units. I'd really appreciate a bit of a tone-down in those costs, as replacing them by building new units is... tedious to say the least.
Maybe... A possible solution is to have a hammer option for upgrading units, adding that cost to the queue of the nearest city? I've no idea how that could be implemented, but you geniuses can surely work that out ;).

About promotions: is it at all possible to have a "retrain" option for units, to get XP and promotions from cities that build the relevant building AFTER the unit is built?
Example: City builds warrior; city builds barracks; warrior retrains at city with barracks; warrior now has 2 XP and gets a promotion (and everyone is :)).

Great work on the mod, I hope it's still being worked on! :)

30 Jan 2017, o 01:43
RI Team

Post Re: Military units (ramping and promotions)
Judging by what you wrote, you're playing the last release version. In our working SVN, the upgrade costs have already been overhauled to be much more manageable.

30 Jan 2017, o 05:18
Trainee

Would it be possible to download it and use it with my old save? Because honestly, starting again would make me sad :P. Or, failing that, is there a quick fix/ bodge fix I can do?

Also, any thoughts on the other stuff?

30 Jan 2017, o 05:26
RI Team

Well, retrain option sounds quite logical, but it would be a lot of hassle to code, especially for AI.

Here's the tutorial on Subversion: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=825

And no, unfortunately you won't be able to use it with existing save, the cumulative changes since release are far too great.

30 Jan 2017, o 09:48
Trainee

would it prehaps Work if unit production costs kept increasing, but the gold upgrade cost was static? That way new units cost more and more, but the old outdated units can be upgraded easily so they arent useless outdated units and at the same time add to the % cost of new units.

Edit: You would proberbly have to change or remove the irregular->regular upgrades if this were to be implemented, since it could possibly be abused.

12 Feb 2017, o 05:40
RI Team

That's more or less how it works in current SVN version. If you upgrade within the same unit role (for example, archer to composite bowman), the upgrade cost is fixed. If you upgrade a unit out of its role (irregulars to fusilier), upgrade costs go up.

12 Feb 2017, o 14:29
Trainee

Oh, sorry i didn't know the change was already implemented (Really have to update to the newest SVN soon).
But anyway keep up the good work, this is my far my favorite CIV4 mod, and now even more so (:

13 Feb 2017, o 08:58
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]