View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Sep 2019, o 06:39

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Stack of doom and other combat ideas 
Trainee

Post Stack of doom and other combat ideas
I just wanted to say that I love this mod and thank everyone who has helped develop it. I've been playing it for several years and just now thought to make a profile. That being said, here are some of my ideas:

1. Stack of Doom: I think that most of us agree that the giant stacks of units are both frustrating and unrealistic. The current overcrowding method is a good start, but I think that a change in artillery and aircraft unit bombarding mechanics can phase out the problem almost entirely. Specifically, I think that a artillery or aircraft bombardment on units should affect the whole stack equally. For example, instead of an artillery unit damaging a single unit in a stack at 10%, it could damage every unit at 2%. This would mean that a stack of 20 being hit with 4 strikes would lead to every unit being damaged by 8% while 4 stacks of 5 units being hit with the same fire power would only result in every unit being damaged by 2% each. This would make it advantageous to attack with several, smaller stacks rather than one big one as artillery became stronger and stronger. This would more realistically simulate the change of tactics from large standing armies clashing on open battlefields to smaller, more specialized units fighting skirmishes.

2. Supplies: In real military campaigns, food and supplies are of incredible importance. I'm tired of watching enemy armies maraud though, or simply sit in my lands without a care in the world. Don't get me wrong, I like that the AI realize that destroying my plot improvement will strangle me, but I don't like that they can't be strangled themselves via a blockade of supply routes or similar interruption of supply to their front lines. This would likely function as a strength penalty that increases the longer the unit is without supplies up to a certain cap. It would be cool if this functioned via land, air, and sea.

3. Weather: Unfavorable weather conditions have halted invasions, reduced armies to bones, and given the opposition a home-field advantage throughout history. It would be nice to have latitude and plot feature dependent penalties and bonuses to represent cold, heat, disease, snow, mud, etc. Far northern and southern latitudes would have cold penalties while Middle would have heat. Jungles and swamps would have disease penalties, etc. Units could start with promotions based on the location of the city they were built to counteract these (northern built units have cold resistance). (This whole feature could also work based on civilization (Russians have cold resistance)). This feature would add some flavor to battles and make it harder for civilizations to conquer far away lands.

This original post was way more detailed but the site logged me out so... oh well... Anyway, I think the first point is actually attainable (correct me if I'm wrong) and would make a big difference while the other two are just things I thought sounded cool. Thanks again to the whole development team and let me know what you think!

19 Jul 2017, o 17:18
RI Team

Post Re: Stack of doom and other combat ideas
I'd say that all those ideas are rather good, but good ideas are unfortunately not the thing we are short on - what we ARE short on are elegant solutions that are easy for both players and AI to understand and manpower to code those. And everything you suggest requires both lots of refining into actually enjoyable and workable game mechanics and then into efficient and bug-free code.

3 Aug 2017, o 04:09
Trainee

As to the suggestion of occasional bad weather, there is an easy way to implement it. Add a random roll (a small chance) before each combat which results in rain or snow which reduces all attacks by say 20% or, in the case of an amphibious invasion, cancel (like what happened the day before D-Day) . These is an excellent suggestion which would enhance the appearance of realism in the game.

22 Dec 2018, o 15:53
Trainee

As to the suggestion for requiring some form of supply for invading armies, there is an easy way to implement it. Whenever an invading army is less than 10 tiles away from a friendly city (including vassals) and in enemy territory, there is no supply penalty. Whenever an invading army is 10 to 15 tiles away from a friendly city (including vassals) and in enemy territory, combat factors are reduced by one half. Whenever and invading army is 16 or more tiles away from a friendly city (including vassals) and in enemy territory, Combat factors are reduced to one. If a combat unit is surrounded (no line of tiles back to a friendly city (including vassals), then on the second turn of being surrounded combat factors are reduced to one and the surrounded units are eliminated after two turns of being surrounded. For airborne assaults, they operate at full strength for the the first two turns after they are air dropped into enemy territory. For amphibious assaults they operate at full strength for the first two turns after they are landed in enemy territory but a beachhead may be blockaded (surrounded) by having a naval unit in the water tiles surrounding the beachhead. This would be easy to program by merely inserting a short subroutine for each combat action.

22 Dec 2018, o 16:07
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]