View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Sep 2019, o 07:01

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Casualty counts? 
Trainee

Post Casualty counts?
Would it be possible to provide a casualty counter that would count the number of soldiers killed in battle, in addition to the regular Civ4 Statistics counter of units built, lost, and killed?

There is a correlation between unit types/numbers and numbers of people in the military as reported in the Demographics section. For example, a Musketman unit seems to be about 6,000 men (on a Huge map, anyway) while a cavalry unit seems to be about 4,000. So the game keeps track of numbers of soldiers enlisted as part of its demographics, and of units killed as part of its statistics; would there be a way to use the number of units killed x men in those units to generate a more detailed casualty report?

If so, would it also be possible to keep track of casualties from units that aren't completely destroyed, by tracking their health percentage? If a unit has 5,000 men and loses 50% of its health, it could then be said to have lost 2,500 men. (A further breakdown would be KIA/WIA/MIA, with percentages based on historical numbers, perhaps changing with advances in medical and military sciences.)

Sorry if this seems bloodthirsty or ghoulish, but I'd love to have a breakdown like this. I can certainly generate it on my own with a calculator but it'd be nice if the game included it in its power and history breakdowns and graphs.

15 Aug 2017, o 11:51
RI Team

Post Re: Casualty counts?
Weeeell... Technically it seems to be possible, though you have to understand that while the number of current soldiers is a snapshot of current situation, tracking casualties requires a new variable to be memorized, and you'd be surprised how little Civ 4 really keeps memorized (for instance, when judging the composition of your forces, AI has NO memory of unit types it saw in previous turns, but doesn't see right now). So, to sum it up, it is probably possible, but not only quite complicated, but will probably also negatively affect performance (as another thing the engine has to track). So my opinion is that we're going to pass on this one for now.

16 Aug 2017, o 02:41
Trainee

Post Re: Casualty counts?
Ok, disappointing but it makes sense. Pencil and paper tracking it is, then.

16 Aug 2017, o 13:16
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]