View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 Oct 2019, o 19:39

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Subs in neutral territory 
Warlord

Post Subs in neutral territory
It seems reading books gives me lots of ideas of everything in life. This time I got one for TR. It's about subs in neutral territory. They should be able to be attacked or bombarded in some way if there is not an open border agreement. This would keep their presence in neutral waters on a low level. But the strength of these attacks would have low chance of success, as they had historically (Sweden during the cold war), but still this would be a good reason to stay clear of neutral fleets in peacetime.

and the elephant will die of exhaustion and loss of blood"

Ho Chi Minh

28 Apr 2010, o 12:03
Prince

Post Re: Subs in neutral territory
I am not understanding what you are proposing here!

If you are at war with a Civ, you can attack its subs in any territory neutral or not. OK - you can not enter territory of Civs you do not have open borders. But that is the same in real life. Except for subs.

So, I guess what you are proposing is: that it is OK to attack any sub in neutral waters, even if you are not at war with their Civ. Seems to go against the Geniva Convention to me.

Also why would you want to kill subs of countries you are not at war with? :o

Unless: by neutral you mean countries that refuse to declare there allegiances to one side or the other: Something that can not be implemented in a computer game.

I am a bit confused here, so I am sorry if I have misunderstood the meaning of the post you have made. :?

28 Apr 2010, o 19:14
Warlord

I think he means attacking neutral subs within your own borders, as in territorial waters. Since surface ships cant enter without open border, neutral subs wihout border agreement could be attacked or chased off.

29 Apr 2010, o 07:45
Prince

Freakwave wrote:
I think he means attacking neutral subs within your own borders, as in territorial waters. Since surface ships cant enter without open border, neutral subs wihout border agreement could be attacked or chased off.

Yes - that makes sense. If you are not at war and a foreign sub/ship/plane etc. enters your territory (without your permission) - you can legally destroy it, if you decide too and are prepared to take the consequences.

Illegal entyy can be considered as an act of war, therefore your actions are self-defence.

An example: shooting down a spy plane.

29 Apr 2010, o 20:44
Warlord

Yes another way to use all these examples is to make them into events to go to war over it yes or no. I dont know if cascading events are possible. Would be nice to trigger a world war :twisted:

30 Apr 2010, o 05:36
Warlord

Seems you understood it just the way I meant. Some kind of event seems to be a good way. There are several things to take in consideration here. A yankee find unknown subs from India close to their base. I doubt they will let it stay there. A soviet sub are found outside a Swedish base, still the same result? Will the Indian sub even dare to try to get that close? Do the swedes even try to aim properly while they are "chasing" away the sub? Weaker countries naturally won't have need for taking the necessary risk from this, while a superpower both have money to survive some casualties, and puts higher valute in information gathered from operations close to potential enemies. How will the AI handle this kind of risks? I want to make unauthorized entry of foreign waters much rarer. And when it happens and are discovered, the nation will risk to sustain some kind of either diplomatic or material losses. But I have no good idea about how this would be implemented.

and the elephant will die of exhaustion and loss of blood"

Ho Chi Minh

30 Apr 2010, o 11:08
Warlord

Me neither but it would add alot of flavor. Same as plane crash in your territory hand over or investigate for espionage points, same could go for a discovered sub. lots of possibilities! It could be event only or be triggered by an actual unit.(i hope)

Dont know shit about it. Cant help but feel guilty about all these requests and all i do is play. :)

If there is any chance for new stuff you always wanted to be implemented now is the time, civ5 will be coming soon too.
This is more a note to self ;)

1 May 2010, o 08:56
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]