View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 Oct 2019, o 19:20

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Difficulty 
Trainee

Post Difficulty
I am a great fan of this mod, I like to play it, but the difficulty is for me a real big deal.
The first option is way to easy. It is impossible to lose there, that was fun the fist few times getting the tasted of what this great mod is all about.
Now I would like to try one notch up. But my skills are to low to even get out of the classical age. So I checked what I was playing..... it came out on nobel! I never played that (on any mod or even the basic civ) and never expect to win something like that. So after going bankrupt 5 times, getting conquered (my one city state) 9 times I have giving up to play the game properly. (cheating is as match fun as playing it in sandbox mode... )

I would really like to see that all the difficulty option came back in the game.
To keep the challenge up for the lesser skilled players like my self.

24 Jun 2010, o 14:14
RI Team

Post Re: Difficulty
All right, noted. Will keep that in mind for the future release.

It's easy to lose perspective when you know your own mod from inside out. For me, playing on Noble feels like cheating. :D

24 Jun 2010, o 14:39
Trainee

Looking forward to it.
^^' I'm more lucky to win on warlord but than again i'm not really good.

24 Jun 2010, o 14:59
Site Admin

I think instead of changing anything with difficulty settings it will be more fruitful to prepare some tutorial on main aspects of the mod that influence your chance to survive or even win.
Three first to start with would be happiness, health and commerce - how to balance/enhance them especially in earlier eras.
Then - buildings and units, which ones are required and which not so necessarily.

I usually play on Prince and if you select your path wisely, remember about few main things in the beginning then you can easily at least survive, while I'm getting the feeling that even Prince level becomes too easy for me :roll: .

25 Jun 2010, o 08:17
Profile WWW
RI Team

Depending on the map and the civ i play, i chose either Prince or Monarch level.

The problem: Prince is often too easy. Monarch is often too hard. :roll: I'm more or less in the middle of these two difficulty levels.

To test our change, i use only Prince level. In my mind, Prince level is the average TR level. The mod is nicely balanced on Prince (or Monarch) level.

25 Jun 2010, o 10:16
Site Admin

So we have a nice subforum over here: viewforum.php?f=6 , I will be starting a new game soon (TR 2.4.2 for Warlords, World Map) and can write down a couple of basic advices to remember about when playing - on Noble level as a start when it seems even this level might be a problem.

25 Jun 2010, o 11:57
Profile WWW
Trainee

Well world map is easier to survive... ( Europe,) because most of them can't real expand above 3 city's, and thus blocking all the barbarians to eastern Europe and the sea's ^^' key there is religion and open borders to make friends. and resources are overflowing there as well.
But on a random map you have load of space to expand. I always struggle to get 3 city's up and enough patrols to keep those happy resource intact, without going bankrupt.

25 Jun 2010, o 15:53
Site Admin

lios wrote:
Well world map is easier to survive... ( Europe,) because most of them can't real expand above 3 city's, and thus blocking all the barbarians to eastern Europe and the sea's ^^' key there is religion and open borders to make friends. and resources are overflowing there as well.

That's how World Map was designed - so you can found 3-4 cities at most and then decide about your way of winning and expansion.
You can either conquest other civs and minors/barbs on your mainland, or first go for science and then conquer America.

Quote:
But on a random map you have load of space to expand. I always struggle to get 3 city's up and enough patrols to keep those happy resource intact, without going bankrupt.

I don't recall when was the last time I played on random map. I prefer to change the history :) , so if you manage to hold on World Map and Noble level then that's good enough - no strategy advices needed.
As for Random map make sure you try PerfectWorld2 mapscript so resources and terrain is much better placed than default script does.

27 Jun 2010, o 10:51
Profile WWW
Prince

When I mastered Noble - I tried moving up to Prince. The first few games were complete disasters, I had to change my research and build options that worked for Noble. I now find Prince as easy as Noble, but I am now struggling moving up to Monarch. I have not yet figured out the build/research paths I need to change.

I only now play with PerfectWorld2 (standard map size) as my computer can not handle the World Map. After the 3rd or 4th era.

I think the abundance of forests/jungles in PerfectWorld (Realistic, but which need chopping down) make TR much harder to play.

When moviong to Prince, I would usually lose in late Classical/early Medieval era's. Now, trying to move to Monarch I lose every time in the Renaisance era. The AI appears to get a boost (not true -just my irrational thoughts) , because at one point I am just behind them (it seems by just a few techs) then they seem to race ahead. Once they get gunpowder (try as you can you can not catch up). There is usually no tech transfer available - due to the small number of civs. Your game is over.

The problem may be with the restricted number of civs on a standard map (less chance of Tech Transfer). Compared to the large number of civs on the World map.

29 Jun 2010, o 20:30
Warlord

quote: "...I prefer to change the history :) , so if you manage to hold on World Map and Noble level then that's good enough - no strategy advices needed....."

I prefer to change the history but changing his geography too. I donpt like to take advantage from AI cause i know real wold geography. Civs leaders at history haved to deal with the unknown lands... and countries, so it is more realistic to play a random map with random enemies.
If you get bankrupts playing random map it is cause you are very noob. So i advise you to expand you civ slower and try to build " buildings of economic" fast, also science building are good too. There are some many are TR.

29 Jun 2010, o 23:27
Site Admin

Harrier wrote:
I think the abundance of forests/jungles in PerfectWorld (Realistic, but which need chopping down) make TR much harder to play.

The more forests the better - found less cities, more workers and chop, chop, chop to increase the production speed in cities :) .
Just like in the World map - I think 4-5 cities till Medieval is fine enough for a good growth.

Quote:
There is usually no tech transfer available - due to the small number of civs. Your game is over.

The problem may be with the restricted number of civs on a standard map (less chance of Tech Transfer). Compared to the large number of civs on the World map.

When I start PerfectWorld2 mapscript I have the possibility to increase the number of civs (changing Closed to AI on the bottom of the list). You don't have such possibility?

Seems like this is your difficulty, not forests/jungle - the less civs then the easier for AI to develop, expand, etc. Map must be crowded!

30 Jun 2010, o 14:57
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]