View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 12 Dec 2019, o 18:29

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Beta BTS World Map Devlopment 
Noble

Post Beta BTS World Map Devlopment
Well the map looks good I like that someone took the time to give the Puget Sound Washington the respect of a few tiles. and a massive map is what it takes to pull this off. This will be the first mod with a map of this scale to have a world map I think. And of course the resources... ok I’m crack'n

So I figured id make a topic to discuss the resources id suggest adding as this is something that everyone ought to get there two cents in, it is a WORLD map and its tough to find maps that show where the ancients got there commodes. Ill be adding notes to the map with Cont+S as will a few others the map can be found in SVN and well id like general help and ideas, so as to accomplish this faster instead of reworking a thousand times. I’m going to start by adding two Prime Timbers on the West Coast. One somewhere in the redwood forest / cascades and one somewhere like British Columbia. There were three rain forests in the area of the Pacific Northwest. Olympic the one that’s gone now Seattle’s watershed and one that’s still there in BC extending along the coast.

So is anyone else working on this map adding TR resources to it or am I solo on this. I don’t know if you'd have to be doing the Beta SVN for BTS or not its just a map and there isn't any reason for BTS over warlords that comes to mind but what do I know.... probably very little huh/ any recommendations on TR resource placement is welcome this is Natural gas, Prime timber, Amber, Pearls, hemp, Tobacco, salt and sulfur, not any of the processed resources even though they appear on the world builder bonuses dropdown they aren’t found on the map as you may know. I'm not sure how may of each should be placed on a map of this size and what yall think even if you do need SVN to place yourself don’t let that stop you form recommending something here just say what and where and why you think it should be there. Walter has told me all of this in much fewer words and I'm just asking for help and recommendations one to keep me motivated to do it and two to rethink the task by typing out what needs to be done...

24 Jul 2010, o 05:24
Profile YIM
Noble

Post Re: Beta BTS World Map Devlopment
so Im going to need the amount of resorces both stratigic and lux and the aperant proper distrabution of each i am currently counting them now and shocked by the volume and concentration im finding in north america not much diversity of anything but strong concentrations of stratigic resorces....

i will report by end of day the totals as i cant find this map on civ fanatics forum....
Has anyone used this map ever are there stats for it??? i'm not trying to do more than needed but without knowing how many of each currently placed im stuck without knowing where to go...

ill be bringing up a few other questions i have about the map and with out hanging on these id like to make some progress in some direction so none the less for now im just analizing what ive been given.. it is avalible on SVN as TEST F map,. thx and any input is appreciated

24 Jul 2010, o 18:18
Profile YIM
Noble

The map is too big. I cant even count how many of each resorce is on the map, Ive been very slow and patient with it but it simply is too much for my graphics card. Ive got 4 gigs of ram and the game it self is stable. im able to play any game i want through the indust, Age on the huge map... but this one is causing CTD no matter how i do it. im not giving up but i may need to buy two gigs of system memory for my parents desktop that has 2 in it... and a 1 gig graphics card for the desktop to do this... we'll see. its a lot of money to spend on a computer thats not mine. -nicrolyte

It whould take a lot of time off of doing this if somone knew how many resorces of each are on the map.... Who made the map thus far is he/she on TR Team? anyone at all I can ask some questions to?

Another concern i has was a uranium concentration in nothern canada. 4 adjcent and 3 more about 4 tiles away for a total of 7 uranium in north canada...

so josh im going to give packing the art assets a try hopfuly that may help the card... im working with a 256MB graphics card ment to do 3D CAD. CATIA will load the redundant or unneeded info to RAM to allow me to work.. i cant upgrade the card this machine is a Dell Latitude D630 about 2 years old now. 4gigs running x32 XP. Nvidia quadro 135M. If i do end up spending money on hardware upgrading or new PC, I want to be sure it will Meet CIV 5 SYSTEM REQ...

26 Jul 2010, o 23:08
Profile YIM
RI Team

That's a third party map from CFC; and yes, the clustering of the resources is also a very real problem for it, realistic as it may be. We will likely have to remove many resources that are already present.

27 Jul 2010, o 00:43
Noble

OK laptop grafix card melted.. goodthing i have a dell warrenty, but man this is really a hard one.
im still thinking of this massive map every day and am having troubble getting a handle on how many resorces are on it, is there a set number of each, should there be?.. I've only set out to add the TR resorces and have a fairly good idea of where i want some of them. but I need to know how many.
no help on CIVFANNATICS eather.. well ill be back online with the 4gig dell tomarrow at around 3pm Seattle / Los Angles / Pacific time or -8 hours

18 Aug 2010, o 02:57
Profile YIM
RI Team

Yes, you can get the feel of how many instances of a particular resource per civ there should be from the XML file in Assets/XML/Terrain. There is a field that controls how many instances of a particular resource per player should spawn on the map. Of course this is not set in stone for a user-created map (and we generally found our World Maps to be slightly more generours than random maps), but it can give you a good approximation.

18 Aug 2010, o 03:15
Noble

ok im almost done counting the resources, ill post my tally and accept corrections as i assume someone has a piece of software that's better than my method. it dose kind of suck working on this as unless i buy a new graphix card ill never be able to play on this map...

however ive already concluded that about 20 to 30% of the resorces must be removed to make room for TR resources... i agree with the maps overall placement but there are just too many overall, and the concentrations are too dense in places... too many gems in afirca, to much corn in north america, too much uranium in canada, too much oil in the middle east. bla bla bla... and there will not be any room for TR resources with out 66% of the land being a bounus tile which simply isn't REALISTIC. and since this is TOTAL REALISM thats not going to work tally to fallow later today --NICRO

28 Aug 2010, o 17:50
Profile YIM
RI Team

Have you seen the last map edition? It contains (almost) all the minor civs we are going to use. Yann is currently wrapping up Eurasian resource placement and would very much appreciate your advice on Americas, I believe.

29 Aug 2010, o 12:28
Noble

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
Have you seen the last map edition? It contains (almost) all the minor civs we are going to use. Yann is currently wrapping up Eurasian resource placement and would very much appreciate your advice on Americas, I believe.

not a member on this fourm cant find him... how whould i go about giving him any help other than what ive already posted. after your last post ive all but given up, its just too much for my machine.

1 Sep 2010, o 20:49
Profile YIM
RI Team

nicrolyte wrote:
Walter Hawkwood wrote:

not a member on this fourm cant find him... how whould i go about giving him any help other than what ive already posted. after your last post ive all but given up, its just too much for my machine.

He actually is, I just call him by name, not by nick. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=57

And I guess if what you say about performance is true, then we should probably shift you to another task instead. Currently, AI behaviour is in need of serious diagnostics - the infamous indecisive stack problem. Please run a few test games and see if AI at war with you (or barbarians) exhibit this behaviour bringing a stack to attack the city and then just standing there or moving back and forth. Especially please note the ratio of attackers to defenders in the city, and the presence and type of siege units (basically, if they have rams or later stuff).

1 Sep 2010, o 23:22
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]