View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Nov 2021, o 19:05

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Absolutely baffling graphical error bug. I have no ideas 
Trainee

Post Absolutely baffling graphical error bug. I have no ideas
I started up RI 3.5 for the first time in quite a bit, started up a new game, everything loaded in well, and I was met with this bizarre graphical error I can't even describe. https://i.imgur.com/SssCjYi.jpg

Other than looking trippy as hell, the game seemed to work fine, but I couldn't find a way to fix it. All the threads I found were extremely old and didn't seem to be the problem I was facing. I tried clearing the CustomAssets folder, I updated to 3.55, and at that point I just up and ran out of ideas. I'm downloading the mod again without the "Realistic textures" to see if that solves it but I would rather play with the updated textures. Anyone have any ideas?

4 Jul 2021, o 10:10
RI Team

Post Re: Absolutely baffling graphical error bug. I have no ideas
Yeah, it affects some users, but not the others, no idea why. Might have something to do with video drivers or hardware. Nobody has come up with a way to resolve it 100%, but some combination of clearing the game cache, switching to borderless fullscreen window mode and/or reinstalling has helped some people. Since I can't reproduce it myself, I can't meaningfully troubleshoot it.

4 Jul 2021, o 11:10
Trainee

I managed to solve it by uninstalling, restarting my computer, then reinstalling. No idea how that worked but it did

4 Jul 2021, o 11:11
RI Team

Sometimes even just a restart helps. It's a truly mystical bug that goes away in an equally mystical way.

4 Jul 2021, o 11:12
Trainee

Hello, I have been playing on version 3.55 for several months and just yesterday encountered this same bug. First I tried clearing the cache, which initially worked, however the next time I played the bug returned. I then cleared the cache a second time, to no avail. I uninstalled then reinstalled RI3.55 and still bugging. I uninstalled RI AND my CIV4 complete, then reinstalled both. First game, bugged... I also attempted on several different graphics settings, but none made a difference. I'm wondering if there is anything someone might suggest I look into to assist in fixing the bug, seeing as this is happening every time I try to play.

31 Aug 2021, o 14:44
Trainee

Ajax wrote:
Hello, I have been playing on version 3.55 for several months and just yesterday encountered this same bug. First I tried clearing the cache, which initially worked, however the next time I played the bug returned. I then cleared the cache a second time, to no avail. I uninstalled then reinstalled RI3.55 and still bugging. I uninstalled RI AND my CIV4 complete, then reinstalled both. First game, bugged... I also attempted on several different graphics settings, but none made a difference. I'm wondering if there is anything someone might suggest I look into to assist in fixing the bug, seeing as this is happening every time I try to play.

I had this bug when I tried switching to the "Original Release" instead of the Steam version. Switching back to the Steam version resolved the texture issue.

12 Sep 2021, o 08:53
Warlord

That bug is for sure something "special".

I have had it quite some times during the years, but normally a restart of the game or a reboot of the 'puter solved it.

Then I got it again 1½ week ago, but this time a restart wasn't enough. Not even a boot of the 'puter. Actually I tried different ways for nearly a whole day.

Next day - no changes at all. Then I thought "F... it". I'll find something else to play. So I found the old game Ceasar IV (via Steam) and played that the rest of the day.

And do you know what????? Now my Civ-game is working as it is supposed to do!!!!!

12 Sep 2021, o 12:47
RI Team

The more I see people report it, the more I think it is some stupid video driver issue that arose some time ago due to nobody bothering checking backwards compatibility with a 10+ year game engine. Probably something having to do with shader caching, as it tends to come and go.

Actually an interesting experiment for people seeing the bug could be fiddling with their shader caching settings:
https://boardgamestips.com/destiny-2/ho ... der-cache/
https://www.technipages.com/how-to-disa ... g-in-steam

15 Sep 2021, o 04:32
Warlord

Problem back again.....

But this game isn't the only one.

Bannerlord fx... https://steamcommunity.com/app/261550/d ... 319750339/

22 Oct 2021, o 07:14
RI Team

Goes to show it is definitely something wrong with the shaders - and unfortunately that is completely out of my hands to fix.

22 Oct 2021, o 08:16
Warlord

Just wonder....

I found an old post in the civfanatic forum, that more-or-less described same problem as we have here ( https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ ... le.194739/ ). That was solved with patch 1.09 back in the old days (2006).

Now do I/we miss a patch or two???

My "original" BTS version is the same that came with the CivIV Complete DVD in 2013 (I'm not sure if it was released before and what patches, that version might include).

I can see patch ver. 3.03, ver 3.13, ver 3.17 official and ver. 3.17 unofficial posted in the Civfanatic download section. Until now I have only added ver 3.19 - but does this include the older patches? Somehow I doubt.

Would it be "wise" to download all the other patches and install them BEFORE I added the RI 3.55?!?!?

24 Oct 2021, o 05:29
RI Team

No, AFAIK patches are cumulative. Anyway, with the current patch, no such problems were reported until ~mid-2020, which is many years after it has been released.

26 Oct 2021, o 17:18
Warlord

The Steam-trick seems to work.

I uninstalled ALL including the R:I.
Then reinstalled first the program and patch.
Then the R:I mod.

Making a testgame - the bug was (still) there.

Launched Steam and had it running in the back - playing nothing, just running.
The started the game with the R:I mod 3.55.
That worked (!).

Now all I can do is hoping.......

22 Nov 2021, o 00:41
Warlord

Until proved otherwise, I'm going to send my warmest thanks to Lieutenantlyon for bringing up the info about the Steamversion.

It seems like it solves the problem.

This morning I made a test, starting the game without Steam running in the background. And the bug was there.
Then: Quit to desktop, start Steam, restart the game. The bug was gone.

I don't believe it's needed for most people to reinstall their game if/when this bug shows up. I did it because I knew I had been fooling so much with my 3.55 version, that I had lost "control".

23 Nov 2021, o 02:37
Warlord

To be honest.

Above DO help. But it doesn't solve the problem alone. Already the day after I posted what I hoped was a solution, the black texture was back.

As I see it, I/we have 2 or 3 "suspects", that alone or combined gives me/us a problem.

The videodrivers might not support old games as good as we want them do to (shader-support).
The file "Realistic Terrain". I can see, that the black texture problem or one similar to this has been here for 7 years or more - and this file could be a reason.
The "RI Planet Generator". Maybe combined with above (it's the only mapgenerator I use with RI). I do not know if this mapgenerator is "part of the problem".

So what have I done so far?!

Well, continued to load Steam before lauching my game.
Check that the videodriver didn't load the shader-cache for this game.
Both suggested earlier by others.

But I have also unpacked the RealisticTerrain file. Placed the subfolders and files in the Art-folder (since it was here they "belonged"). Deleted the file itself. The file RealisticTerrain isn't big, so the loadingtime isn't much longer than it uses to be after I unpacked the FPK-file.

Until now using all above has worked for me the last 2 days (hmmmm).

I hope this will last. Else I have no choice than "returning" to the 3.5 release, which - until now - hasn't given me any serious problems.

27 Nov 2021, o 14:55
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]