View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Sep 2019, o 07:17

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 BLACK TEXTURES AND CRASHES (look here) 
RI Team

Post BLACK TEXTURES AND CRASHES (look here)
Both black textures and CTDs in late game are game engine issues, not issues with the mod. We can't do anything to really "fix" them (only Firaxis can), but there are certain steps that can be taken to minimize them.

1) Black textures. Relatively easy. Alt+tab to windows and back gets rid of black textures as soon as they appear (and is much much quicker than exiting the game and loading it again - though, of course, it also helps).

2) CTD. The ones with Memory Allocation Error are caused by game engine not handling memory properly. First of all, it seems this error only happens on 32bit Windows XP and Vista. If you switch to 64bit Vista or XP, it will go for good. Also there is a fix for 32bit XP, but it involves tampering with .exe, and hence we can't distribute it with our mod - so if you are more or less confindent with this kind of stuff, you can try it for yourself
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=225205 (fpr XP)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=224178 (for Vista)
(it also never hurts asking people around at CFC if you're not really sure that you understood everything quite well).

If the fix is too much for you to apply, you can minimize the number of errors you get by playing on smaller maps and/or with lower graphics settings.

20 Feb 2008, o 02:31
RI Team

Post Re: BLACK TEXTURES AND CRASHES (look here)
I'm dealing with yet another snag, as I finally got the map to load and upon finishing its initialization it ctd's with a memory allocation error. This error is not an issue of the games memory being overwhelmed, as I downloaded the explorer suite and modified the .exe to allow over 2 gigs; rather, it seems that the crazy system of cache(ing) and loading all info from predetermined sources is causing the game to literally make errors in the allocation of items into its memory. Oh well... yet another hurdle, and if anyone can offer a solution, it'll be a first. :D

2 Mar 2008, o 01:05
Warlord

I am trying the MAF error fixers. I edited the .EXE and changed my boot.ini file.

I feel safe about editing my boot.ini file since I play EVE online. :lol: (You see there is a file in EVE online called "boot.ini" and when a patch came out for the game the programmers accidently dropped a few needed lines and so the boot.ini that was deleted was the PC's boot.ini instead of the game's... :o So I have learned how to handle the bugger)

If you don't hear from me soon... that's a bad thing. :mrgreen:

21 Mar 2008, o 12:24
Warlord

YAY! FAILURE! :lol:

Okay, it booted back up, but whenever I select an option (either no /3GB at end or with /3GB), I get horrible picture qualtiy. Once I get into the one without /3GB, afte the first time it starts up in 800 by 600, and will be fine if I put it higher to my 1280 by 1024 normal. The one with /3GB can't go above 600 by 480. And just sits there looking crappily. :evil:

Any suggestions?

Will continue to experiment.

*Edit*

Okay, I'm an idiot. This time I went back to the civfanatics thread and read down. About 5 posts down there is a post covering my exact problem, I used the Userva=2900 command and it start up great now.

I will now attempt to play TR civ4. Without MAFs.

Begins praying to Yaweh, lord of the Diaspora merchants. :D

21 Mar 2008, o 12:55
Warlord

Okay, I've had a single random restart. I rechecked everything and my paging memory was still at 2000, so I redid it up to 4080, and I think that will fix it.

Here's my specs:
Microsoft XP
Media Center Edition (oh crap. maybe... I could have sworn this was professional)
Service Pack 2

Pentium D CPU 3.2 GHz
2 GB RAM

Virtual Memory is 4080-4080

Boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP with /3GB" /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2900

I will continure experimenting.

Last edited by Iamwinterborn on 21 Mar 2008, o 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

21 Mar 2008, o 13:42
Warlord

Everything is very jerky. I tried to make the resolution lower. But that just made the screen go black and I had to try to end the process when there was a 10 second delay between every mouse movement...

Too bad. I had such high hopes for this. I am going to play with the userva later, but not right now. Maybe try it at lower res and with single unit graphics.

21 Mar 2008, o 13:59
RI Team

The only thing I can do is wish you (eventual) good luck. Never did this myself (I tend to play TR much less than mod it).

21 Mar 2008, o 14:58
Trainee

I realize that this may be a bit off topic, but does anyone have any idea on the consequences of going to XP 64 bit? It sounds as if this could be a good solution, but I am not sure how this would effect other programs.

24 Mar 2008, o 10:46
RI Team

rabber wrote:
I realize that this may be a bit off topic, but does anyone have any idea on the consequences of going to XP 64 bit? It sounds as if this could be a good solution, but I am not sure how this would effect other programs.

Sorry, never used it. But I never heard anything bad about it either.

24 Mar 2008, o 14:47
Prince

I only have vista 32 bit and I did what walter suggested and so far it has been working really well, i no longer have crashes but black textures do appear after awhile but returns back to normal after you restart TR.

"Live for today, cause tomorrow never comes." - Ozzy Osbourne

1 Apr 2008, o 19:48
Prince

Isn´t it Dio who sings: "Live for today cause tomorrow never comes" in Die young?

1 Apr 2008, o 20:39
Prince

haha, ozzy made his own version of it. theres quite a few versions of die young.

"Live for today, cause tomorrow never comes." - Ozzy Osbourne

2 Apr 2008, o 16:10
Trainee

i have vista 64bit and the game still crashes(memory allocation). i have had this same problem with total realism 2.2 and 2.3
i love this mod, but this crash makes me not want to play. please help.

1 Sep 2008, o 13:10
RI Team

How much RAM do you actually have? Although 64bit systems should have no problems managing memory, if you have 1 Gb or less, you'll still suffer from allocation errors - just because the free memory runs out.

1 Sep 2008, o 17:01
Trainee

I have Vista 32, with 4GB of memory, I've copied the dll, I did the fix with altering the exe file, everything suggested. I keep getting crashes, seemingly earlier and earlier in the game. I love the details in 2.3, but I'm going back to 2.2 until 2.3 is debugged or the BtS version comes out.

1 Sep 2008, o 18:05
RI Team

punkdavid wrote:
I have Vista 32, with 4GB of memory, I've copied the dll, I did the fix with altering the exe file, everything suggested. I keep getting crashes, seemingly earlier and earlier in the game. I love the details in 2.3, but I'm going back to 2.2 until 2.3 is debugged or the BtS version comes out.

The "fix" for 32bit systems doesn't get rid of crashes completely, it just delays them occuring. And there is nothing WE can do save converting to BtS (which is well underway) to solve this.

2 Sep 2008, o 00:47
Trainee

i have over 4 gigs of ram, so memory is not a problem. hopefully somebody can help, because i love this mod and want to keep playing. by the way, have vista 64bit.

2 Sep 2008, o 10:39
RI Team

bramage wrote:
i have over 4 gigs of ram, so memory is not a problem. hopefully somebody can help, because i love this mod and want to keep playing. by the way, have vista 64bit.

Are you sure that the crash you're getting is a MAF? Does it write about memory allocation failure?

2 Sep 2008, o 11:31
Trainee

when the game tries to save(autosave) or when i try manually to save an error message comes up saying something about bad memory allocation. this happened on my other computer with total realism 2.0 and 2.1

2 Sep 2008, o 20:45
RI Team

Then I'm very puzzled. Your system configuration should suffer from no MAFs at all. :(

3 Sep 2008, o 00:21
Trainee

I had been getting MAF errors as well on a 64-bit operating system. The problem is not in the OS its in the program itself. Even if you're running on a 64-bit operating system the executable is still only a 32-bit game and can only use 2GB of RAM. The only ways to remove this are the manual hack (haven't tried it since it looks like it modifies how the OS sees the RAM rather than the EXE itself), upping the 32-bit executable to a 64-bit executable, and having a sister/daughter program take some memory load.
Basically, it won't happen. The limit is there and unless Firaxis or some good hacker changes it to a 64-bit exe, it will always be there. Personally, the sister/daughter program seems like an easier fix for a hacker since basically it's another program running along side Civ4 taking some of the memory load, simple memory dump procedure (not a hacker/programmer or I'd do it myself...)
*also, please note I'm half asleep if anything doesn't make sense...*

8 Oct 2008, o 21:31
RI Team

But don't both XP and Vista fixes involve .exe hacks in their first steps? This step might be the only needed one on 64-bit systems.

9 Oct 2008, o 02:12
Trainee

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=224178
If this is what you are referring to then... The idea is that on a 64-bit operating system more than 2GB can be used for the operating system and for programs, the problem is that both the operating system AND the program have to support the >2GB limit. 32-bit programs do not support this limit so... even on a 64-bit OS you still have to make the change for a 32-bit program. I haven't tested this myself but I'm learning programming and I've asked this question of my professor and looked it up online.

13 Oct 2008, o 11:48
Trainee

Ok, so I've now 'tested' the 'solution'. Unfortunatly I didn't want to restart the game and play on a larger map since the game I was playing was going quite well... I'll inform everyone if it works for me once I have. I hope to eventually look through the SDK and see if it's possible to add 64-bit support to it (would certainly help for those with 64-bit operating systems) as well as multicore/multiprocessor and hyperthreading/hypertransport. If I manage to do that then I'll try taking on the project of translating the Python script to C++ script-should make everything faster and smoother. Then again, I may simply be unable to do either...

14 Oct 2008, o 10:32
Prince

Not a TR bug. More for informatiom purposes.

I am playing 2.4 on the World Map. I do not expect to progress any further than the early Middle Ages because I have 32 bit XP.

My system is Intel 2.8 dual core, 4 Gb Ram and ATI HD4850 graphics.

Playing on high detail settings.

With the old 2.3a version I could play until my save file sizes were around 1,300 KB at high detail, before I got any MAFs.

Now in BC 2200 and BC 1735 I have had 2 MAFs. The save file sizes are only 500kb and 550kb.

2 Jan 2010, o 20:16
Prince

MAF update.

1060BC. Saves only 630KB, but MAFs occur every third or fourth turn.

I am now turning down detail level to medium.

2 Jan 2010, o 21:28
Site Admin

Have you tried this?

Works also on 32bit systems, you only need to have at least 2GB of RAM.

3 Jan 2010, o 06:06
Profile WWW
RI Team

Harrier wrote:
With the old 2.3a version I could play until my save file sizes were around 1,300 KB at high detail, before I got any MAFs.

Now in BC 2200 and BC 1735 I have had 2 MAFs. The save file sizes are only 500kb and 550kb.

I really appreciate this feedback. It sounds like 2.4 is using more memory than 2.3a did. I guess I'm not entirely surprised by that, since we've added on a lot more Art since 2.3a.

We're all hoping that the issue will be resolved when we move to Beyond the Sword.

In the meantime, there is the workaround that Vitez mentioned.

Master_Aricitic wrote:
The idea is that on a 64-bit operating system more than 2GB can be used for the operating system and for programs, the problem is that both the operating system AND the program have to support the >2GB limit. 32-bit programs do not support this limit so... even on a 64-bit OS you still have to make the change for a 32-bit program.

This is correct. Even if you have a 64-bit OS, a 32-bit program may be limited to 2GB, instead of the 4GB theoretically available to it.

Though 2GB is the default memory limit for 32-bit programs, 32-bit programs can have a /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch turned on in the executable that allows them to use up to 4GB. This switch is turned on by default in the Beyond the Sword executable, but it is not in the Warlords executable.

In the case of Warlords, which we are still using for this release, a special program can be used to turn the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE switch on. This is the CFF Explorer program mentioned in the link posted by Vitez.

-Josh

3 Jan 2010, o 18:43
RI Team

Walter Hawkwood wrote:
But don't both XP and Vista fixes involve .exe hacks in their first steps? This step might be the only needed one on 64-bit systems.

Correct. 64-bit systems don't require anything to be enabled in the OS, but the Warlords executable does need to be modified.

3 Jan 2010, o 18:47
Prince

Vitez wrote:
Have you tried this?

Works also on 32bit systems, you only need to have at least 2GB of RAM.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I now remember reading it when it was initially posted, but back then I only had 1.5GB of RAM. When I upgraded to 4GB, I completely forgot about it. Damm - I could have progressed much further with the 2.3 versions. :(

Finding the location of the boot.ini was a game in itself. But I guess if you can not find it, you should not attempt to change it. Not a :geek:

I have now played for over 3 hours (realistic speed) up to 300AD and no MAFs. This is on medium detail.

Just one slight oddity - I had lowered the resolution from high to medium before implementing the changes. I loaded a game played a few turns, then upped the resolution to high detail. On reloading the game, all the user interface details were there but the map view was just a black screen. I tried a few times with no luck. Changing back to medium and reloading and everything was fine.

Also starting a new game at high detail also worked fine. Odd! :?

4 Jan 2010, o 20:14
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next