View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 Jun 2019, o 15:45

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 New player's observations & questions. 
Trainee

Post New player's observations & questions.
Hi, I'm playing my first game of this mod.

1) I've just found out that there are no horses on the entire map. Does it happen regularly or is it just a very unfortunate coincidence?

2) I've read in the manual that if I use different type of units in a stack, I should get some bonuses. Where can I see the bonuses? Are they displayed somewhere? Do they apply to attack only or defense as well?

3) A similar question about the logistic penalty (too many units in a stack). Can I see the value somewhere?

Thanks for your answer beforehand.

31 Oct 2016, o 05:05
RI Team

Post Re: New player's observations & questions.
1) Depending on the script and map size, that can happen. I wouldn't say that it happens regularly, but yeah, it has been reported sometimes. Generally speaking, though, don't expect to see many horses.
2 and 3) The effects are all applied to the stack as temporary promotions. You can see them (colored grey for aid and red for logistic penalties). Additionally, a bar above unit info shows the logistic status of the stack and the numbers for various levels of penalty.

31 Oct 2016, o 06:07
Trainee

Thanks for your quick response. Can I somewhere edit (increase) the likelihood of horses resources? It seems to me that it's too important aspect of the game to risk to play it without...

1 Nov 2016, o 00:56
RI Team

Increase <iConstAppearance> or <iPlayer> in CIV4BonusInfos.xml

1 Nov 2016, o 01:42
Trainee

Hi Walter,

Concerning the original poster's observation about the lack of the important horse resources, what do you think about a modification that allows players without naturally occurring horse resources to "create" a horse resource by obtaining horses from another civilization, expend some production points, and not produce any cavalry or horse units for a certain number of turns, and then receive a horse resource to represent a horse industry based on breeding stock obtained from another civilization? This is exactly what a number of civilizations actually did to create horse resources. Thoughts?

Gandalf13

27 Feb 2017, o 18:50
RI Team

The horses issue is already fixed in SVN anyway. There is no need to.

28 Feb 2017, o 00:29
Trainee

Thanks. Forgive my ignorance, what is the difference between RI 3.3 and SVN?

Separate from the issue of fixing horses (I did get horses in playing RI 3.3) and adding an additional perspective to the game, what do you think about my suggestion for an option to create new resources for such things as Horses (and perhaps Sheep, Cattle, Pigs) which do not naturally occur within a country's borders by obtaining the resource in trade, not using it for the length of the trade agreement by building units, etc, and then being able to place such a resource on the map within one's country to represent establishing farms for such resources by using the animals as breeding stock?

3 Mar 2017, o 13:23
RI Team

The difference is circa one year of development. Everything that was done since 3.3 release and that is going to be in 3.4.

As for your suggestion - while it would add a cool new aspect to the game, same as with many other changes, the most difficult change would be teaching AI to use it properly.

4 Mar 2017, o 00:51
Trainee

Got it. How do I download SVN, if that is possible?

I understand. Although I am not conversant with C++, I used to program other languages. If you do not mind, I will try to prepare a general algorithm that might be adaptable to the current AI to implement the suggestion for your review and/or testing.

7 Mar 2017, o 13:30
RI Team

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=825

7 Mar 2017, o 15:22
Trainee

Thanks. I will give it a shot.

7 Mar 2017, o 15:31
Trainee

First of all, I love RI. Fantastic refreshment to CIV 4. I played 2 games. The second time I reached to the modern era, below are is my feedback and suggestions:

1) Timescale - I've reached guided missiles around 1500 A.D. Maybe it would be good to add some points to techs or speed up time scale.
2) Longbowmen are OP. Very hard to capture the city with few lonbowmen and crossbowmen stationed in it. It would be great to lower strenght of longowmen back to 6.
3) Is it possible to change a fact that some improvements remove forrest?
4) I know somebody has already mentioned this one..how about abilty of forcing cultural territory by the presence of military units?
5) How about implementing loans..loaning money to another state with interests via diplomacy?
6) I really liked colony improvement in civ 3 the one that gives you acces to resources even if it is not inside your cultural territory?
7) Some early civ trading demands are ridiculous..1one wine for 6 my resources?
8) I consider myself a above average civ player, I'v been playing civ since the first Civ I when I was a little boy. I do not play particulary aggresively, rather defensively. Few cities. First RI game I choose noble difficuilty to get a grasp of it and learn new aspects, I found that to be very easy. Played another game on Monarch, still I find that very easy...except Japan and England and Etiopia, every other civ were strongly undeveloped. I had to give them techs via world builder cheats, to have some fun. Is it possible to alternate this on some level, maybe by switching on the tech trading? I do not want to play higher difficuiltes due to happiness and health restrictions. RI is significantly easier than vanila BTS, because computer does not seem to be cheating in tech research as it does in BTS.
9)How about implementing possibilty of buying plots from other civs?
10) I like how the concept of artillery bombarding in radius, however I find radius of 2plots around howitzer to be unrealistic according to geographical scale. Is it possible to change every bombard radius to 1plot?

Thank you again. RI is splendid!

7 Jun 2018, o 16:31
Noble

Rorda86 wrote:
First of all, I love RI. Fantastic refreshment to CIV 4. I played 2 games. The second time I reached to the modern era, below are is my feedback and suggestions:

1) Timescale - I've reached guided missiles around 1500 A.D. Maybe it would be good to add some points to techs or speed up time scale.
2) Longbowmen are OP. Very hard to capture the city with few lonbowmen and crossbowmen stationed in it. It would be great to lower strenght of longowmen back to 6.
3) Is it possible to change a fact that some improvements remove forrest?
4) I know somebody has already mentioned this one..how about abilty of forcing cultural territory by the presence of military units?
5) How about implementing loans..loaning money to another state with interests via diplomacy?
6) I really liked colony improvement in civ 3 the one that gives you acces to resources even if it is not inside your cultural territory?
7) Some early civ trading demands are ridiculous..1one wine for 6 my resources?
8) I consider myself a above average civ player, I'v been playing civ since the first Civ I when I was a little boy. I do not play particulary aggresively, rather defensively. Few cities. First RI game I choose noble difficuilty to get a grasp of it and learn new aspects, I found that to be very easy. Played another game on Monarch, still I find that very easy...except Japan and England and Etiopia, every other civ were strongly undeveloped. I had to give them techs via world builder cheats, to have some fun. Is it possible to alternate this on some level, maybe by switching on the tech trading? I do not want to play higher difficuiltes due to happiness and health restrictions. RI is significantly easier than vanila BTS, because computer does not seem to be cheating in tech research as it does in BTS.
9)How about implementing possibilty of buying plots from other civs?
10) I like how the concept of artillery bombarding in radius, however I find radius of 2plots around howitzer to be unrealistic according to geographical scale. Is it possible to change every bombard radius to 1plot?

Thank you again. RI is splendid!

i like the idea of accessing resources outside of your territory.

2 plot bombardment, in my opinion, is overpowered

I think this mod is balanced around emperor for those who are experienced players, depending on the nation ofcourse (england/japan are easy to play for example)

Longbowmen are powerful indeed but I think its good since by end of middle ages everyone has big armies walking around which makes it easy for everyone to take cities. If there are no good defensive units, then cities and civilizations would be easy to take before industrial age

13 Aug 2018, o 23:11
RI Team

Rorda86, let me try to address this point by point.

1) The problem (or rather lack thereof) with the timescale is that it is not dynamic. And depending on the particulars of a given game, the pace of progress in the world can be very different. A world map scenario packed with resources and civs will produce a very different timeline from a random map. Why "lack thereof" then? Because the year displayed doesn't really affect anything gameplay-wise. Which is a good thing, or we'd have to spend a lot of effort trying to tune it.
2) They are not OP, they are just P. A civ game (at least in RI) is supposed to develop in that oscillating offense-defense cycles. Some historical periods, you can defend better. Some, you can attack better. While longbows are powerful, they are followed quite soon by gunpowder units that make attackers' job easier.
3) It is. What did you have in mind in particular? Generally, they remove forests where it makes sense and leave it where it make sense now.
4) Not going to happen mostly due to AI. Wouldn't be too hard to code by itself, would be a hell to teach AI how to use.
5) Modding diplomacy is very, very hard.
6) Maybe. Though again, AI aspect worries me a lot here.
7) Don't respond to them then. Trading demands actually are designed to fluctuate quite a bit.
8) Judging from your comment, I will hazard a guess that you only play World Map. It's a matter of taste of course, just want to point out that RI does support random maps, has some nice bundled scripts and even has a couple of other scenarios. Anyway, I myself comfortably play Monarch, could probably play Emperor if I wanted a bigger challenge. In general I wouldn't recommend turning on Tech Trading as RI wasn't balanced for it, but it is possible.
9) Diplomacy. Not gonna happen.
10) It is possible, but you will have to do that on your own if you want to. I don't find 2 sq an unreasonable abstraction - not any more than a warrior taking 200 years to move a tile early on, or other such ridiculous stuff that comes from Civ's weird blend of strategic and tactical combat.

17 Aug 2018, o 08:56
Trainee

1) Allright
2) The cities with longbowmen garrison can be taken, but I usually have to sacrifice lot of levys (a lot) before my main army can step in. Also I must have properly promoted riders and melee units hugely promoted for city attack. From a historical point of view however even english longbows were unable to penetrate well crafted plate or chain armor. But I got the idea why you set the power so high, there were minimum massive conquering wars in late medieaval ages in Europe, rather local conflicts centered on siege of strategic castles which could withstand for a long periond of time.
3) Fortress, watermill and wind mill I had in mind.
4)Ok
5) Allrighty then.
6)Ok
7)Cool beans.
8)Yes, I play only world map, 40 civs, it is such fun. The game I'm playing right know is on Monarch. I set the AI to be aggressive and turned tech trade on, turned off the vassal states as well and it all helped a lot. Majority of civs are very developed, there were times some of them were actually ahead of me a bit. I can provide techs to small portion of undeveloped civs via diplomacy. Much more balanced on my world map and much more satisfying fighting with tanks, motorized infantry, fighters, bombers against same types of units, instead of fighting against fusiliers.
9) never mind
10) thank you, I'll try.

Thank you for your answers Walter :)

17 Aug 2018, o 14:27
Trainee

I love this game and I have played it since 1993. As for RI, I stopped my search here--no need for Civ 5, 6, etc.
But I would like to see some additions, if possible:
1. Could weather/climate be made into a more dynamic part of the game? So much of history was influence by weather, military campaigns succeeded or failed because of snows, droughts, etc. Could the years be associated with seasons, so you don't just have a year/turn, but a year/random season/turn? I imagine large parts of the map could be covered by snow if the winter is harsh some time, or, conversely, the snow can melt making the agriculture possible, or the crops could be flooded or dry out, leading to extended famine, deaths, etc. This would lead to a more dynamic agriculture and use of land, based on the climatic/weather fluctuations. Of course, weather is short term fluctuations while climate long-term.
2. Related to 1, I really liked the idea introduced by FreeCiv many years ago, of attrition brought by distance from your civilization. Could that be introduced? Thus, if an army is caught in a rough winter, it could lose half its soldiers from cold, which would make one think twice before sending an army into battle far from home. This would also put an end to the ridiculous idea of scouts traveling around the earth in 2,000 BC.
3. Would it be possible to change from one epoch to another gradually? Passing from the ancient age to the classical one did not happen overnight, but over time. Thus, there would be long transitional periods of "mixed" architecture. Maybe new building designs can be placed alongside old ones, not replace them altogether. Thus, the effect would be more realistic in that you would have cities in which all stages of history are represented in architecture, like in Italy or Spain or France. This one is more for the eye :)
Thanks, and congratulations for a great job!

6 Mar 2019, o 13:17
RI Team

There will be no more major new additions. The development has mostly been halted.

6 Mar 2019, o 15:14
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]